Ali Express

Well, in fact I was ready to pay for a bribe (done it before at CPI), but here, it was obvious the guy wouldn't accept one (I can smell that now after 10 years). Furthermore there was another individual like me waiting & looking (and a few of the other aduaneros were looking at me too).

I'll try my luck again this friday. My strategy is more or less defined:
- I'll put my good face of a boludo on (I excell at that)
- Will stay as calm & polite as possible while showing I'm determined to get the package
- My ex-GF + her baby will come with me and I told her to cry at some point

Then if it really doesn't work, still with my boludo face on (and the guy knowing I'm determined/not kidding), I'll ask him for his advice since he seems very competent: the tracking information has been faked (99% sure... They never sent the two avisos but updated weirdly the database when I was there last time = they are supposed to have tried to deliver the aviso the last day I could ask for the package, when the CPI had already closed).

It's a form of occulting a package not to deliver it: up to 4 years in jail (if I recall what I read a few days ago).

Although the guy is rather related to AFIP/Aduana (I guess), he likely is in for the dirty business inside the CPI. I checked various forums and Argentines start to file charges against Correo Argentino... Some guys have already been caught.

Hence, the guy seeing my dumb/candid face and knowing I'm very determined, knowing I might really file charges, might reach the conclusion it's far better to give me the package.

Now, if he answers something like "sure, do it! File charges!"... I'll have lost & I might get into trouble when receiving other packages (they'll remember my face & name... and know where I live)... Unless he's really honest, in which case, better.

In fact, I'm losing more money going back there, argueing, etc. than simply reordering the same products little by little (I'll lose a working day... no good). But I'm hard headed, there are some good sides to that too... The good side here would be going out of the CPI with the package, with my ex GF happy, and me also happy to "have eaten the brain" of the guy ("manger le cerveau" in French)

McKenna, you are funny! I went to your member page to see if there was info about your ranch (there isn't) and saw your post there. I have to admit you have a point. We have been known to splash a mixture that looks like paint onto tools we were bringing in to make them look old. Also, in the Bible, one woman was praised because she hid the spies under the shocks (corn or something) on the roof and told the soldiers, "They went thataway." So I can't argue on that one.

I assume everyone knows that the pickpockets and more accomplished thieves hold conventions here in B.A. complete with classes like yours, McKenna, on "How to" complete with demonstrations. You can learn how to stand close to a guy and take his cell phone out of his shirt pocket without his ever noticing until it's too late! Hohohoho!

Second XP (nightmare?):

I bought a box of +700 small plastic earrings for my ex-GF (helping her to set up a small business so that she can live, etc.) for a price of 142 USD (incl. EMS shipping).
I had asked the Chinese dealer to remove the boxes & place only the earrings with a minimum protection (he did not... Language barrier it seems).

Was shipped from China on 09/23, arrived in Argentina on 10/03.
On 10/04, in the tracking page, appears "detenido en Aduana con aviso".

So far... normal (although I was crossing my fingers for the box not to get stopped (size: about 25 x 20 x 20 cm. Unsure about the weight but I guess it's like 1.5 kilos since it's all plastic & very tiny).

Except I never received the "aviso"...

Knowing there's a deadline (didn't remember how many days), I went to the CPI in Retiro (I live near Pilar = close to 100 kms back & forth) to ask on Friday 10/18.

I waited 3 hours (normal) and noticed the first weird thing: the paper they printed for my package showed that supposedly they had sent me two avisos (on the 6th & on the 11th if I recall)... Except I never received them & I'm at home almost all the time + the postman knows me (good tips...).

So, if I had not been there on the 18th.... I would have lost the package forever since the delay (I asked) was until the 20th (yesterday, a Sunday). How odd indeed!

In the CPI, they finally call my number and they direct me towards the "sector comercial" (on the right when you enter... something bad is coming).

I talk to the guy, explains the situation... and the guy, knowing I drove for 100 kms, etc. tells me to come back with a despachante (customs broker).

I was of course happy as a lark, so I drove back home.

And, as a true surprise, once I got home & checked again the tracking infos on the Correo's website: they had updated the status and while I was in the CPI friday, they added two lines: at 15:06 "aviso en poder del cartero" & at 17:10 "intento de entrega" ---> seems that's total BS & they are trying to cover up something here... Furthermore I always have the same postman & he comes in the morning (I even doubt postmen keep working after 5pm... highly dubious).

I started asking today for despachante's fees for such a situation: 450 USD!!! (for a package worth in total 142 USD... suuuuurrrreeeee). I'll keep searching.

Since I'm a hard headed son of my mother, I already thought about a few solutions:
-> the hard way = filing criminal charges for occulting my package (it's quite obvious from the tracking info & a quick search on the Net shows that it's quite common they don't send any notice.... to get the packages for themselves?).
-> the creative way = going to the CPI with my ex girlfriend & her baby, and that she starts crying once there.

I'll probably do a mix of both... While keeping on trying to find a despachante with reasonsable rates (100 USD would be a maximum for something that takes 1 hour).

I really wonder if they are not doing everything possible to discouradge people from getting what they bought (including the ones like me who don't lie about the value & are willing to pay all the corresponding taxes).

I might lose... but I'll do everything possible to win... Even if I have to drive a total of 500 km.

Of course, except me to have a hidden camera on me... just in case, he he.
Anyone who is considering going into the import business needs to read this and then multiply it by 6. It is never ending , front to back, bottom to top free flowing bullshit 24/7 from the folks who have your goods.

One update about the nightmare story I wrote about...

Finally... I did nothing, and it was the smartest thing to do. If I was 20 years younger, then for sure I would have gone back there, etc.

I could have created a big mess (sincerely, because something really fishy went on & I had the proof). But even if I'm 100% right, the guys I would have fighted can harm me much more than I can harm them. If that was to protect someone I care about, OK, I would have joined the fight (and I don't care for the consequences)... But for a 140 USD order?! Hopefully I'm +40 years old now.

Pride swallowed... I moved on.

Also, look at the cars parked in front of the CPI... Most are brand new & some are worth quite a lot of money (like 5% of them... weird)

Here's an article in yesterday's Clarin. They're putting spending caps of U$D 25.00 per person per year for internet purchases.
Anything over that you pay taxes. The Queen wants the citizens to spend their $$$ in the country.

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Gobierno-dificulto-compras-Internet_0_1046895694.html

I wonder if that US$25 limit applies to purchases you download such as games and other stuff like that.

Here's an article in yesterday's Clarin. They're putting spending caps of U$D 25.00 per person per year for internet purchases.
Anything over that you pay taxes. The Queen wants the citizens to spend their $$$ in the country.

http://www.ieco.clar...1046895694.html

It was supposed to be like that all the time. They are just enforcing it now. But please check that it only applies to items that go through the aduana, not "spending". So, @Gringoboy it doesn't apply to virtual goods.

Back