all about the Scrilla & the dolla dolla billa

White Chocolate

Registered
How are people moving their money into BA? I heard that there is some sort of a tax on money which is transfered in? Does anyone know if this is true? Will the banks there take deposits from US banks?

Any insight people have on how they are handling transferring funds from abroad to BA and/or cashing US checks would be appreciated.

You can use banks to wire transfer money in. Banco Piano is one option (http://www.bancopiano.com.ar/). They usually charge a fee (2% or so). You open a savings account + have the money wired to that. You need a CDI to open the account (which you get from AFIP (which requires a certificado de domicilio (which you get from your local police station))). You may also need to "prove" the source of the funds (copies of tax forms from your country of origin). You can also bring cash in your pocket when entering Argentina (below $10,000 USD if you don't want to declare it).

Best is to open an account in Charles Swaab, and get a debit card. It will not charge you anything if you withdraw money here.
Good luck

I use moneygram. Some places limit you to receiving only $4k a month in USD (then anymore in pesos) but I found a place that doesn't care!

HenryNisental said:
Best is to open an account in Charles Swaab, and get a debit card. It will not charge you anything if you withdraw money here.
Good luck

thank you I will call Charles Schwab tomorrow that's unbelievable!

arty said:
I use moneygram. Some places limit you to receiving only $4k a month in USD (then anymore in pesos) but I found a place that doesn't care!

What kind of fees do they charge?

What is the max you can take out of a machine when you use that charles schwab card? Is it just a couple hundred bucks at a time?

What about traveler checks? I believe you can carry them with no limit and banks charge a 1% fee to buy them. You can buy up to 25000usd per person per day.

Is no one going to comment on the ridiculous title of this post? Really?? I've come to expect that such things do not go unnoticed by this group.

EliA I think the title is great but perhaps you've been in BA to long to be down with the US gangsta lingo! Or maybe it's not ur ebonics but that u just need to lighten up ;-)

Nikad, we are going to bring traveler's checks but I am trying to figure out what to do once those run out. Also, I have heard the max you can bring in at one time is US 10,000.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I appreciate it!

Back