All In One Day

Hold up, folks.

Are you all whining about the Argentine state no longer subsidizing your air travel with cheap dollars? :)

I think you mix up international and national air travel Bradley...

The members of the forum are complaining about rising prices in air travel due to additional restrictions imposed by the Central Bank on currency exchange. From Los Andes:

“Por el momento los operadores mayoristas toman el dólar a $ 9,73 pero, con esta medida, los grupos de empresas que operan Caribe y paquetes europeos pueden subir y cobrarnos a nosotros, las agencias pequeñas, el dólar a $ 9,93”, explicaron desde Holding Viajes.

http://www.losandes....epo-del-central

I am guessing the jump has been more dramatic than that...

The official exchange rate is nothing more than a massive government subsidy on dollars. The Ks accept and admit this. (The policy has been to prioritize the imports of raw materials at a subsidized price, while disincentivizing exports so that the local market is more competitive than outside markets.) It would appear to me that the foristas here are lamenting a drop in the subsidy... Isn't the devaluation what most here want? And if not the devaluation, I think most would say that they want a return to so-called "stable economic policies." ... Well, this is a start. Get ready for more, especially if Macri wins.

Looks like the price is pretty fair to me at 15.70sh...

20ppms6.png

303bbqb.png

And if you don't have access to US dollars Bradly?
Not all foristas earn in USD or even have access to them.

You're missing my point.

Regardless of whether you earn pesos or dollars, dollars are used to pay for international airfare. Up until now, the government has subsidized the USDARS exchange rate, mainly to keep the cost of raw materials stable/low and to prevent a collapse in real wages. And with regard to airfare, it also means that if you're an Argentine resident and buy your tickets in Argentine pesos, the price of your ticket is being subsidized by the Argentine government. (Until they closed the loophole, lots of nonresidents used to play a similar game by selling dollars here on the blue market and buying airfare in cash with pesos.)

Furthermore, the market exchange rate of the USDARS is obviously not the official rate, and the price one pays in pesos is also not the real price of the ticket (until now, I guess). This is obvious, and most people on this forum advocate for a return to "sane economic policies," which include a floating exchange rate and an end to the generous government subsidies.

It would seem -- yes, seem -- that some folks on this forum have a big problem with programs like Fútbol para Todos and the Asignaciones. I would agree that some programs are indeed wasteful (such as Fútbol para Todos). However, I'd also agree that the government subsidizing the price of dollars for you to buy cheap airfare is also a wasteful government expense. Am I wrong? Shouldn't the forum be celebrating the increase of airfare to its real value?

By the way, does Aerolíneas serve choripán in business class?

Back