Almagro - a decent neighbourhood?

I live in Almagro too, for the past 6 years, and think it's great. It seems very solid middle/working class, lots of services (fruit/veggie shops, pasta stores supermarkets... not to mention two very nice parks, Plaza Almagro and Parke Centenario) and the lack of people who are very rich and very poor makes it feel safer than Palermo. That said, Almagro North is definitely safer and more middle class than Almagro South. And if I had a car here I'd park in a Garage, just like in any other neighborhood in BA.

I concur that its a nice neighborhood. However there are some not-as-nice areas, particularly areas close to the shopping Abasto. I live about 10 blocks from the Abasto and definitely avoid that area at night, particularly when I'm alone. I live in the South part of Abasto and what they say is correct, it's a little less posh and a little more working-class than north of Corrientes. However it's still a very neighborhood feel and a lot lower price than posh neighborhoods. As in any neighborhood, though, take care to walk on avenidas as much as possible at night, 'cause some areas are pretty deserted and dark at night on weekdays.

Back