Alternative languages, communities, nationalities to BAExpats?

jago25_98

Registered
As much as I enjoy meeting people from this group I find there's a heck of a lot of people from the USA, quite a few Brits and a few Argentines who have lived elsewhere or known other cultures and so identify with people here.
Those are the big three nationalities I see with BAExpats. Any Canadians in the house?

I am aware that there are other nationalities here in large numbers but I don't see them so much on the forums? Is there an online place for these people living in Argentina?

These nationalities I'm used to seeing where ever in the world I go:

Anglophone:
- Irish (hiding in the Irish bars at night?)
- South African
- Australia & New Zealand. Aussies are everywhere these days backpacking and working. There must be a contingency here?

Other languages:
- Dutch. Dutch people travel a lot and I've met a few in Argentina but never met any associated with BAexpats
- French. Haven't met many French speaking people
- Spanish. I haven't met any Spanish through the forum! Perhaps they have their own thing going on? Especially all those Galacian taxi drivers?
- Chinese. They're everywhere these days. China town, martial arts related stuff. Do they have a group some place?
- Muslim countries including Asia. That big mosque near the Hippodromo looks so quiet?
- Jewish communities. I see a lot of Jewish folk around but I know nothing about them. I know the history but I'm still curious

Their are many nationalities on this forum.

Though everyone assumes here, that everyone on this forum is a American or a British.

Why not start a poll about it? It's easy to assume where everyone is from but I think we'd all be quite surprised by the diversity on this forum.

StuckLikeGlue said:
Why not start a poll about it? It's easy to assume where everyone is from but I think we'd all be quite surprised by the diversity on this forum.

Not everybody would participate, only the most active users.

I think you are right about the majority of posters being from the US or the Anglo speaking world .I would even go as far as saying that the majority of members is from the US.
I think the distinction is that Europeans of other languages do not feel out of their comfort zone as much as "Anglos". To come onto this board we need to speak another language already. But that is ok,we expect it. It makes us more willing and ready to take on Argentina directly though in its own language than someone who has not had to fend for themselves in another language . Once they find their feet they often disappear.So maybe we do not feel as much need to vent frustration as someone brought up in an Anglo world.There are topics that unite us, that are general to expats and locals alike, but in general I think we just don´t have as much to say.

By the way,all Anglo friends listening,this is not a disqualification but a humble observation after living amongst you in your own respective ex countries.

Well this is for the most part an English speaking forum, so it makes sense it's primarily made up of English speaking people. However there are many nationalities represented here. :)

There's a Spanish forum run by Spaniards. If you search around a bit I'm sure you could find it and others like it. It's funny that the topics and sentiments are very similar to what you'd find here. ;)

En B.A no hay que confiar en nadie
Extraño Barcelona
Hola a todos desde Cádiz. Psicólogo clínico planteándose si emigrar.
ayuda para buscar trabajo en el extranjero

There are a LOT of Armenians (well, descendants of Armenians) in Buenos Aires.

Can you link it? I'd love to see this Spaniards forum

Eclair said:
Well this is for the most part an English speaking forum, so it makes sense it's primarily made up of English speaking people. However there are many nationalities represented here. :)

There's a Spanish forum run by Spaniards. If you search around a bit I'm sure you could find it and others like it. It's funny that the topics and sentiments are very similar to what you'd find here. ;)

En B.A no hay que confiar en nadie
Extraño Barcelona
Hola a todos desde Cádiz. Psicólogo clínico planteándose si emigrar.
ayuda para buscar trabajo en el extranjero

Back