Alternative Tourism

Nice to finally see a post with some substance on this site, and not the absurdly generalized posts titled "Are all Argentines impossible to date?" Or no, a recent favorite of mine, people complaining about supermarket prices. I was speechless to see someone actually list the exact prices of their recent grocery reciept.

ReemsterCARP, the documentary content of those photos is exceptional, and I appreciate the edgy sense of humor. This selection of photos is a sample of the other extreme of BA, in contrast with Caminito, el Obelisco, el Cementerio, imo, booooring. Dont get me wrong, the places arent boring, its just a lot more enjoyable and intriguing doing things that the average tourist doesnt do. There are plenty of things to do, which may not fall under the alternative extremes of those photos. There are other neighborhoods without the name Recoleta and Palermo with plenty to offer. The cultural centers in the outter neighborhoods are the best, as you arent treated like a tourist. One thing though, if you are interested in markets, I highly suggest going to La Salada, go try some anticuchos and buy a pair of fake pocodot nikes.
There are plenty of tourists that go to Feria de Mataderos, which is a nice touch of gaucho culture in the concrete jungle. I actually headed to Mataderos on a Sunday in March only to find that there was no fair. So I grabbed lunch with my girlfriend and a friend at a local restaurant. After 15 months here, hands down, best asado. There are also several excellent stores.
A friend of mine went to a festival in San Antonio del Areco last November (I beleive its 2 hours on bus from CF), and suggests it highly as there are no foreign tourists at all.
lots more to say, but now Im rambling, chau

Things I will not miss about Buenos Aires: by an ex-expat

1. Lack of customer service - Some people say customer service in the US can be bad… There is no concept of customer service in BA, the salespeople and waiters are doing you a HUGE favor by showing up to work at all, you should be grateful! I was boycotting stores with bad customer service at first, but then I ran out of stores to shop in… in BA! A city of 14 million people! Although I’ve noticed customer service seems to be catching on in Belgrano.

2. Doggy poop everywhere - porteños don’t scoop poop. I even saw poop in Pacifico in BA once (VERY expensive indoor shopping area - I was in there looking at the cool architecture, I can’t afford Gucci clothes, not that any of them would fit me anyway).

3. Public urination - argie men - Okay! - SOME other argie men, feel urinating on street corners is completely acceptable. There is a field in front of my office window where men are often urinating. Nice work environment! Just to be fair, one of Martin’s friends told me they saw a woman crouched down taking a dump at a bus stop in BA, so I guess it can be both sexes.

4. Doctors - there are some nice ones, but I found these few and far between. Most treat you like you have no brain and I can’t count how many times I’ve been misdiagnosed. not to mention there is often a several hour wait due to the elderly porteño sport of doctor visiting.

5. Making friends - It seems with Argentineans that you are either a good friend or you are an acquaintance. In the US, there is a middle stage that allows you to have someone to hang out and do stuff with, without being best friends. I always made friends in the US fairly easily whenever I moved or started work somewhere new. Not here.

6. Junk food - Pizzas, empanadas, greasy potato chips and choripans. Blah! These are gross. I miss Doritos and Cheetos.

7. “American” food - this is generally pretty gnarly. Hamburgers are usually made from a mixture of who knows and beef. This is just wrong! I had ribs in an “American Western” restaurant that were marinated in cinnamon and sugar. Just plain strange.

8. Work environment - too informal for my taste. There’s way not many rules and heaps of hierarchy and paperwork. Argies generally believe that work life and home life should not overlap. How do you make friends if not at work?

9. A house full of bugs - okay, you get bugs in American houses too, but there are no screens on the windows here and no air conditioning, so in the hot summer, your house gets full of moths, mosquitoes, and flies (lots of them).

10. Over-priced electronics, appliances, and clothing - these things just cost so much more than in the US. My KitchenAid mixer was $179.00 in the US and is priced at us$500 here.

Well so much for expats and other nationalities bragging about this country, please Check Here to find about these expat behaviors.

Ring a bell?

Another one, this one is from this thread creator country the origen...

Anyone else not "fitting in" ?

Hey folks,

Maybe it's just the language thing but I so don't feel at all at home here. I'm not used to people staring indiscriminately and being so abrupt. It's just weird.

I can't fully describe it but I feel sooo much like an outsider. Maybe it's just that I'm mostly surrounded by Nederlanders all the time. The only exception is at school where I'm surrounded by all other nationalities except my own.....

.........Don't let it get you down, bueracracy is rampant here.

Seem a familiar bragging

I assume you're from the US, like the woman which whom you cut and pasted her write-up pretty much. What if you never lived in the US? Would you appreciate or continue to complain?

Back