Alternatives For Paying An Argentine Designer From Canada

Yeah, but this implies that:
1) His USD are automatically transformed into ARS at the official rate ($1000 = ARS 8700 instead of ARS 12,600 blue - that is probably his rent for a month!)​
2) AFIP would know he his being sent funds from abroad and might wonder why​
3) Most likely, he will have to pay bank fees to receive a wire from abroad, and on $1000 these might be on the order of $20-30 at time, which means over $200 a year​

Serafina, he lives in Rio Cuarto -- it is 3 hrs south of Cordoba City, a tiny little town, I will be shocked if his rent even touches 3000 pesos a month.

It was just to say that ARS 4000 is a lot of money for many people living here, and that is why he is trying to find a way to make it work outside the official payment systems.

It was just to say that ARS 4000 is a lot of money for many people living here, and that is why he is trying to find a way to make it work outside the official payment systems.
Ah sorry now I see, you were talking about the difference, not the total.

You could set up an account for him in the US and pay him directly to that account. Easier for you to manage, and it puts the onus on him to figure out how to get the money into the country.

You could set up an account for him in the US and pay him directly to that account. Easier for you to manage, and it puts the onus on him to figure out how to get the money into the country.

Just curious how a Canadian, non-US resident is going to open a US bank account for an Argentine, non-US resident.

At least a couple, and I suspect all, of the major US banks will happily open a personal or business account when presented with a Canadian passport and driver's license. For a business account would need a US EIN which works as proof of US address as well. Argentina would be trickier (at least for the banks I'm talking about), but I know enough non-US-resident Argentines with US bank accounts so definitely it can be done.

TD does not quite qualify as a major bank (in the US), but has a decent presence all over the Northeast as well as FL, and provides free funds transfer to and from TD Canada Trust. If you have a US Dollar account in TD Canada Trust and deposit US funds there, that transfers over to the US for free. Same works vice versa. Google 'TD cross-border banking'.

but I know enough non-US-resident Argentines with US bank accounts so definitely it can be done.

Tourist can open accounts in several banks in the US, but it depends on the bank. Citi allows it, Schwab doesn't. However I am not sure how you can open a bank account without going there in person. ID-ing the account holder is part of the bank's duty, AFAIK.

Not sure why OP is even discussing it. It is not his problem. It is up to Rio Cuarto guy to advise his employer where to make payments to.

Just curious how a Canadian, non-US resident is going to open a US bank account for an Argentine, non-US resident.

We used a "gestor" in Argentina who arranged it for us and plenty of our friends. You don't need to be a US resident to open an account, and you don't need to visit in person - we just sent in some forms together with scanned ID. A US bank account is a useful thing to have if you want to be paid in dollars.

Back