Alternatives To Cash

jeff1234

Registered
I'm meeting family members in Mexico soon. I was thinking of having them bring me $USD but I'm concerned about having a large amount of cash with us during our vacation.
Does anyone know if I can get USD from a bank in Mexico?
Or if I got travelers checks, would a cueva her accept them?

If I understand correctly you wish to bring back USD from Mexico with you, right?

If that's the case then just withdraw MXN from an atm and exchange them for
USD at the bank as anything involving traveler's checks, even if accepted in Arge,
which I haven't come across (doesn't mean they aren't) will be at the "official" rate.

Tip: If your non Argentine bank account is at Bank of America, Barclays, BNP/BNL,
Scotiabank, WestPac, Deutsche Bank, or ABSA then you can take out MXN surcharge free
at Scotiabank in Mexico, as you will not have to pay the $3-5 USD international withdrawal fee.

I'm meeting family members in Mexico soon. I was thinking of having them bring me $USD but I'm concerned about having a large amount of cash with us during our vacation.
Does anyone know if I can get USD from a bank in Mexico?
Or if I got travelers checks, would a cueva her accept them?

I haven't used travelers' checks for decades but, in the mid-1980s, cuevas would accept them but at a substantial discount over cash dollars. Given their relative rarity these days, I doubt most if any cuevas would accept them now.

To clarify my dilemma, I want to bring enough USD back from Mex to Arg for me to convert to Arg pesos and live on over the next six months.
This would be more than I can get from ATMs in Mex.
And thinking about it, travelers checks probably wouldn't be any safer than having cash in Mexico (see: express kidnapping).

To clarify my dilemma, I want to bring enough USD back from Mex to Arg for me to convert to Arg pesos and live on over the next six months.
And thinking about it, travelers checks probably wouldn't be any safer than having cash in Mexico (see: express kidnapping).

Where in Mexico are you going? Also, how much cash. Most ATMs and or banks have limits on the amount of cash you can withdraw abroad/with them.
Many members have brought 10K USD from Miami/NYC/Houston/Atlanta/Montevideo/Santiago no problem in cash, The most I've brought was 2K.

10K is the max you can legally bring in/take out from nations without declaring, and if you spend more than that in 6 months while living in BsAs then you need to go abroad more frequently or are too rich for many of us guys' advice :p

I believe there is a limit on how much per day (or month?) you can convert to USD per person - they take your passport details etc. Google banco azteca and it should tell you.

Back