Am I a little nuts to choose BA? Help.

ElQueso said:
For my part, I have not studied economics seriously previously, and have never really needed a reason to (so I thought - I was wrong about that) until I moved here and things began to fall apart. Recently, I have been studying Austrian economics, under the premise that Keynsian economics just doesn't seem to work. I don't really know enough to apply serious analysis as to what may happen to drive prices down here..

with the best will in the world I'm obliged to enquire when are you going to start studying economics seriously? :)

consider who wrote this?

Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and, while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some. The sight of this arbitrary rearrangement of riches strikes not only at security, but at confidence in the equity of the existing distribution of wealth. Those to whom the system brings windfalls, beyond their deserts and even beyond their expectations or desires, become "profiteers,", who are the object of the hatred of the bourgeoisie, whom the inflationism has impoverished, not less than of the proletariat. As the inflation proceeds and the real value of the currency fluctuates wildly from month to month, all permanent relations between debtors and creditors, which form the ultimate foundation of capitalism, become so utterly disordered as to be almost meaningless; and the process of wealth-getting degenerates into a gamble and a lottery. Lenin was certainly right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

clue - it wasn't an Austrian :confused:

another clue - certainly no friend of "profiteers" :eek:

trennod said:
I guess it depends on exactly what you are looking for in your South American / Central American dream spot. BA has a good club and bar scene and there is never a shortage of things to do. Plenty of cultural stuff too, with much of it free. The girls are amazingly beautiful (and guys). The weather (in my opinion) is good, its warm in summer and conducive to being outside (as long as you dont mind it very hot, aka 35-40 degrees at times!). Public transport, albeit unreliable is very cheap and gets you anywhere and everywhere, bus and train tickets are about 25c and subway is about 50c. There are heaps of schools to get you started in Spanish, albeit you have to be careful with which you choose. There are also lots of opportunities for language swaps. If you are interested (and have the money) it is fantastic in the interior of the country, both north and south. The people are friendlier and more relaxed (as is the culture) and in many of the cities its much cleaner and a little safer than BA.

Now for the other side. BA is NOT europe. Sure, many of the people look european and a few of the buildings may remind you of it but it is well and truly a 3rd world city. BA is not safe and its getting worse (so the locals say). It is dirty, although the Palermos and Recoletas are cleaner parts of the city. The food, apart from the beef is generally pretty average (particularly fruit and vegies, mind you they may not interest you much!). It is getting quite expensive, you will probably still find it comparatively cheaper to where your coming from but not by much. The political problems are increasing and the economy is heading for (if not already in) a recession. The government have implemented dollar controls so you cant buy them. Withdrawing money from an ATM will only net you the official rate (low compared to blue and black) of about 4.2-4.5. People are getting restless (there has been a number of demonstrations, strikes etc...we have one tomorrow) and if you believe the locals the every 10 year crisis is upon us. They (albeit generally more paranoid than your average American, European or Aussie) would not recommend coming here.

With your limited Spanish and if you have little support (friends etc) you will find setting up in this city a bit of a challenge I would imagine. Yes many people speak english and most of the younger generation speak at least some and not too badly, but even basic tasks like any work visas, visiting banks, phone companies, paying bills, perhaps even going to the shops and ordering restaurants will be uncomfortable.

My advice: ask yourself what it is you truly want and weigh up some other cities in SA n Central America as well. Santiago for example is safer, cleaner, more politically and economically stable but perhaps doesnt have the culture and good weather. How about Sao Paulo and Rio? The people are meant to be much friendly, you have great beaches in brazil (Arg beaches suck), food is better etc.

I dont doubt you would still have a ball in BA, it is a lot of fun and in my opinion more so when you are young, but keep your eye on the other options too!

Really you are talking about crime and you recomend him Rio and Sao Pablo? wtf is wrong with you (sorry the expresion :O), that are one of the most dangerous citys in the world please don't give stupid advice about safety and then recomend one of the 20 most dangerous citys in the world, Buenos Aires is quite safe compared to any Latin American big city, of course you have to be carefull but nothing to get nut, i have been here 8 years already and never nothing wrong happen to me or any of my friends, well actually once one guy pick the phone of the hand of one friend and run away but that was all so don't get to crazy about the advices here, economy yes it may come a recession probably in the next year but nothing you as a young men without responsabilities should worry about and less in the actual contex where every where is already having economic problems, Santiago in the other hand is safer and more economically stable (don't know how much safer anyway) but on the other hand in my opinion (i'm 26 so i think i'm young still lol) is a boring city and the girls are ugly compared to here :p , and the air is to poluted because of the mountains that avoid smoke to run away but the city is very clean no one drop trash at least lol.

lamarque said:
Really you are talking about crime and you recomend him Rio and Sao Pablo? wtf is wrong with you (sorry the expresion :O), that are one of the most dangerous citys in the world please don't give stupid advice about safety and then recomend one of the 20 most dangerous citys in the world, Buenos Aires is quite safe compared to any Latin American big city, of course you have to be carefull but nothing to get nut, i have been here 8 years already and never nothing wrong happen to me or any of my friends, well actually once one guy pick the phone of the hand of one friend and run away but that was all so don't get to crazy about the advices here, economy yes it may come a recession probably in the next year but nothing you as a young men without responsabilities should worry about and less in the actual contex where every where is already having economic problems, Santiago in the other hand is safer and more economically stable (don't know how much safer anyway) but on the other hand in my opinion (i'm 26 so i think i'm young still lol) is a boring city and the girls are ugly compared to here :p , and the air is to poluted because of the mountains that avoid smoke to run away but the city is very clean no one drop trash at least lol.

Read my post properly, please. My point is to weigh up what he is looking for overall and to consider other cities in Latin America not only BA. The culture, beautiful girls, access to Spanish, weather here are starting to be outweighed by the insecurity, high prices / inflation, lack of variety of food (particularly if your not a massive meat fun), economic downturn / recession, crappy government which is constraining freedom. I think there are arguments both ways for whether in this blokes position, BA would be a better option than other Lat Am cities and hence why I tried to present the pros and cons of here and mentioned other cities he could consider. The reason specifically I mentioned Brazil, it has amazing beaches and just as beautiful girls and friendlier people.

I just cannot believe that you have been here 8 years and nothing has happened to you or / your friends security wise. I think you are either a) lying; b) dont have many, if any friends; or c) are extremely, extremelyyyy lucky.

BA may have been historically safer than Rio and Sao Paulo but people would argue in the last couple of years it is heading that way. I have friends that have been to both cities and felt extremely safe. There are people on this site that will attest to that also.

Can I please also add (as I have mentioned many, many times) I enjoy BA and there is many great things about it, my post was not one to bash BA, simply to provide an opinion and some advice to this bloke.

lamarque said:
Really you are talking about crime and you recomend him Rio and Sao Pablo? wtf is wrong with you (sorry the expresion :O), that are one of the most dangerous citys in the world please don't give stupid advice about safety and then recomend one of the 20 most dangerous citys in the world, Buenos Aires is quite safe compared to any Latin American big city, of course you have to be carefull but nothing to get nut,...

chill-pill--285x300.jpg

Back