Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

They were also forced into the Army and used as cannon fodder in the war with Paraguay.
But hey, let's not disturb the Argentine racial harmony narrative that the locals are so attached to.

Brazil while socially it projects a acceptance of african culture still is far behind Europe and many societies in its treatment of indigenous people . The rich of Brazil are more elitist than Argentina and classism and rascism is more profound .

They were also forced into the Army and used as cannon fodder in the war with Paraguay.
But hey, let's not disturb the Argentine racial harmony narrative that the locals are so attached to.

Everybody was conscripted not only black people.

The reason why we don’f see it as offensive is because china means girl in quechua and we are used to called girls chinita lovingly

"As for the black population, they lived in miserable conditions which resulted in them being hit harder by the plague. Also, it is said that the army surrounded the zones where they lived and did not permit any movement into Barrio Norte, where the whites were trying to escape the epidemic. They died in huge numbers and were buried in mass graves."

Sounds totally above board, nothing to see here...

There was no tap water then. Only letrines. Everybody lived in a miserable way. The authorities were scandalized that immigrants lived between so much dirt and so overcrowded.
I can understand that they focus on cleaning because they didn’t know yellow fever was transmied by a mosquito, you have no excuse.
Restriction on movements are normal during plagues.
People from Africa has a stronger immune system. Italians were who suffered it most.

0ED513DB-3958-479D-B384-3B1E9E420DC4.jpeg

The rich of Brazil are more elitist than Argentina and classism and rascism is more profound .

Yes racism in Brazil is real, embedded in society and practiced by many people. That being said, the statement above is both arguable and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
I see no Brazilians here claiming that making racial remarks is OK because Brazil is some kind of bastion of racial harmony, do you?
When confronted about their frequent racist remarks, Argentines frequently brush it aside with claims that Argentina "abolished slavery in 1813" and that the country somehow treated people of color nicely, when the historical evidence overwhelmingly shows that blacks and natives were intentionally, ruthlessly and systematically eliminated from Argentina.
Whether racism and classicism in Brazil are more profound or not in no way excuses such behavior.

Yes racism in Brazil is real, embedded in society and practiced by many people. That being said, the statement above is both arguable and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
I see no Brazilians here claiming that making racial remarks is OK because Brazil is some kind of bastion of racial harmony, do you?
When confronted about their frequent racist remarks, Argentines frequently brush it aside with claims that Argentina "abolished slavery in 1813" and that the country somehow treated people of color nicely, when the historical evidence overwhelmingly shows that blacks and natives were intentionally, ruthlessly and systematically eliminated from Argentina.
Whether racism and classicism in Brazil are more profound or not in no way excuses such behavior.

But you were the one that mentioned that Brazil was more racially homenegous than Argentina even though history has proven that this has not been the case . Argentina until recently was not politically correct and to be called gordo, negro, chino, etc etc were terms of endearment . Just because a society makes rascism illegal does not mean that the people all of a sudden love other races . If we compared Argentina with the United States there is actually much more mixing of races between indian , black , and white communities and much less rascism than Australia or the USA . Saying that there have been tremendous injustices caused to the indigenous people of Argentina and the most noble original tribe the Aeoniken were nearly wiped out by the early invaders the spanish and english .

In Argentina history we see many examples of racial mixing Peron himself was a son of a indian woman . I believe that in Argentina today close to 40% of the population are mixed with indigenous peoples .

Last edited:
But you were the one that mentioned that Brazil was more racially homenegous than Argentina
I said no such thing. I suggest you re-read the message thread.
When an Argentine here posted that it was OK to use racist expressions because "Argentina was not an apartheid state, unlike the US" as a response I posted an article that explained that Argentine blacks were either killed or fled to Brazil and Uruguay.
I then replied to claims made by an Argentine here that blacks in Brazil were segregated. Racial relations in Brazil can and should be criticized in many levels, but segregation was never a practice adopted there. Quite the contrary: What gives many visitors the false impression of racial harmony in Brazil is exactly because there isn't and never was any segregation.
As a person of color myself who have lived in both places, I do think racism here in Argentina is worse than Brazil. But that is my personal opinion and one is free to disagree.

Last edited:

Is it possible that those will be frequenting BRAZILExpats.org (so to speak) rather than here on BAExpats.org?

Fifty-two inmates killed in Brazil prison riot; 16 decapitated, some burned alive.
If Argentina is racist, what adjective could describe Brazil?

Is violence a symptom of underlying racism?

https://www.google.com/search?q=52+....69i57j0l5.15972j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
As you mentioned, we are BAexpats, not Brazil expats.
Yes, there is a lot of racism in Brazil. Lots. Happy?
With that out of the way, would you like to continue to justify the use of racial remarks in Argentina?

Eliminate "Go back to where y came from" then we will discuss "Gorda" "nigra" "chinito".
It won 2016 and will win 2020 (and beyond I´d say).
Guaranteed. Take it to the bank.

..... burn all those books, ..... Peace out.

Last edited:
I thing you start from the mistake of thinking that we has as many slaves as Brazil did. I doubt there were many black people in Argentina because they were used to work in plantations and the fact is that the Pampas was under native control until about 1880.
The second fact is that there was a lot of native workers in the north and they were working in different kind of servitude inherited from the incas that was abolished too.

Going back on topic, I asked my wife who is Chinese about if she feels discriminated when people call her chinita. She said that yes at the beggining. Later she realize that chinita is how we call the wife of the gaucho and then she understood that it was not peyorative.

Back