Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Why is it ok to call someone from Japan or Korea chinito? Is it ok to call everyone from Latin America "little Mexican"?

No said it was "ok." Some people just think that it may not be racist as many foreigners perceive given the cultural context.

I honestly don't think the majority of people here use "chinito" as a racist term. I think they use it because that's the only type of Asian person they've been exposed to. While there are Japanese and Korean communities here, the Chinese community is much larger, BY FAR. I'd be shocked if most people here can even tell the difference between a Korean person and a Chinese person... the same way many Asians say they can't tell the difference between someone from New Zealand, Canada, Australia, etc.

I know trying to paint everyone as a covert racist is in style these days, but please - Buenos Aires isn't and will never be Berkeley.

No said it was "ok." Some people just think that it may not be racist as many foreigners perceive given the cultural context.

I honestly don't think the majority of people here use "chinito" as a racist term. I think they use it because that's the only type of Asian person they've been exposed to. While there are Japanese and Korean communities here, the Chinese community is much larger, BY FAR. I'd be shocked if most people here can even tell the difference between a Korean person and a Chinese person... the same way many Asians say they can't tell the difference between someone from New Zealand, Canada, Australia, etc.

I know trying to paint everyone as a covert racist is in style these days, but please - Buenos Aires isn't and will never be Berkeley.
Now in addition to pensamiento único we can add pensamiento simple: either you're a raging nazi or a completely loving, all embracing far leftist, nothing in between.

So the answer is no. You've never asked them. The fact that you would not even *bother* to ask that question -- or that the question would even occur to you -- is demonstrative of the problem in this society. How many of Koreans and Japanese do you actually personally know on more than a superficial level? Do they "get it" in terms of simply accepting the fact that if you live in Argentina, it is ok to call someone from Korea Chinese, and that it is perfectly ok to associate every single Asian person in the world with China?
You don't know me, or who I talk to either. I grew up with both Japanese, Korean and Chinese classmates and I know exactly how they feel, your points and constant questioning of the local culture are just proof that you don't get it, I doubt you ever will to be honest. In general the number of complaints posted on this and other expat forums and groups reflect how hard it is for some to adapt. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time.

Lesson learned, if you want to sound not racist you may refer to others using terms such as human, person, being, individual, creature, mortal or fellow. Towards the end of the year do not ever wish anything but Happy Holidays ( forget about Christmas, Hanukkah, etc as that is discriminatory ). You like chocolate? dark or light?. You learn Spanish? Fight it with everything you can, as it is a sexist language that has a feminine and masculine form for adjectives, articles, etc. If possible erase from Earth other languages such as German, Latin, Italian, French, etc. Moreover, burn all those books, societies need censorship to evolve. Peace out.

I think that chinito is not peyorative in the same way negro neither is in Argentina unless the context and the tone of voice make it peyorative.

The reason why it so important to do not use the word negro in the US is because the enslaving culture is still strong and the Apartheid was abolished short time ago.

Argentina, on the other hand, derogated slavery in 1813 and the purpose of its privateer fleet was to free slaves.

Many of the national heroes and elite troops were former slaves like Sergeant Cabral.

This is why the DNM strives to appear legality when they discriminate foteigners.

Well, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was born in NYC and her family is from Puerto Rico. This means that technically speaking, her family never crossed the border into the US, but instead, the US border crossed them, when Puerto Rico was taken from Spain and annexed.
So in a historical sense, she is more "genuinely American" than Trump and most of his supporters.
I cannot stand the woman and her political views, but once one questions her right to be in the US, all bets are off and I will take her side every single time.

Yes, leave it to POTUS to take a fairly big internecine skirmish among Democrats and manage to unite everyone against him while making all the erstwhile combatants look good in comparison.

Well allot of Argies call me gringo and they mean no harm in it what so ever. In fact, my mother in law calls me gringo, gringito among other things. I think people just started calling me that and it became my Arg Nick Name. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back