Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Geez how can you possibly be so hard headed? All those quotations mean that this choice of words happens everywhere and that when you are in a foreign place there are many things you simply don't get because it sometimes takes a lifetime or growing up in a certain culture to fully understand certain things. This is not nationalism, it is reality. I am sorry if you don't like ti or call it whatever. In any case I feel that it is not that I am nationalistic but you are widely anti nationalistic, which is ok.

Oh I am hard headed lol so are you btw :p

But in any case. Yes, I am anti nationalistic, and am happy to admit it. And your way of looking at things is definitely nationalistic, as the quotes show pretty clearly.

Honestly it's an aside to this whole thread, on the substantive issue I think everyone knows where they stand.

Maybe in 20 years or so we can see who history has decided is right.

You join In a 20+ page discussion in the last few pages and make points which are irrelevant and have been shown to be either misguided fallacy at best, or nationalistic propaganda at worst.

At least do your homework and read the thread first.

*Whataboutism abounds.

Calm down.

Calm down.

Hey,

Sorry if calling you out makes it look like I'm not calm. I can assure you I am not ruffled in the slightest

Patiently waiting for you to catch up on your reading and come back with something new.

Sincerely,

:)

What I don't understand why so much sensitivity about the word "chinito" for Asian. I mean even if its derogatory doesn't this happen elsewhere? I know its no excuse to accept it but by now and with all the globalization going on, peoples reaction, specially those who are surprised by it, doesn't surprise me. By the way maybe you don't watch tv but there are 2 hs of cooking programs with a peruvian chinese. There's also Ohno a very well known Asian chef he has an expensive restaurant at the Japanese garden because he's famous.One of our most famous models is a dark Brazilian lady then there are several LGBT with several shows. They get married and adopt or have children with surrrogate mothers.We have had 3 lady Presidents etc.etc.etc. Now if I criticize this it s because it surprises me because where I come from this doesn't happen and I simply don't umderstand it. Now if this is the case I might find it easier to understand. Is that the case?

Chinita means darling. Chinito is not per se peyorative.

In fact, my former korean wife was upset when someone call her chinita because SHE is racist againt Chinese people.

Sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. Can you dig it then get over it! Argies oh my I said Argies I say it all the time in front of them they do not freak out. Argentines there just being their cultural selves with these words most of the time. Get over it and enjoy the day.

It's not about being taboo, its about being derogatory and perpetuating long-standing power structures which disadvantage minorities. Despite, or rather empowered by, the subjectivly good/neutral 'intentions' of those who use and defend the terms.

You did not answer the question. What is the clear list of rules that we can use to identify these words? Without a set of rules it just becomes arbitrary. So far, based on this reply, is it correct that these are the rules you have so far come up with:

1. The word is bad if it references someone who is a disadvantaged minority
  2. The word is "derogatory"
If that is correct, then I would ask 1) Does it apply to only a disadvantaged minority? What about an advantaged minority? What about a majority?

Also, 2) how do we determine if a word is derogatory? If either party (speaker / listener) says it is not derogatory does it mean it is not? Or does only one of the party need to feel it is derogatory? Does a specific party need to feel it is derogatory? Or, is it not related to any partiies to the convo, but based on a general survey of people in the general area?

Arbitrary definitions serve no one, so we have to get specific on what the rules are that determine bad speak. Only by knowing the rules can we ever hope people to avoid such speak.

You did not answer the question. What is the clear list of rules that we can use to identify these words? Without a set of rules it just becomes arbitrary. So far, based on this reply, is it correct that these are the rules you have so far come up with:

1. The word is bad if it references someone who is a disadvantaged minority
  2. The word is "derogatory"
If that is correct, then I would ask 1) Does it apply to only a disadvantaged minority? What about an advantaged minority? What about a majority?

Also, 2) how do we determine if a word is derogatory? If either party (speaker / listener) says it is not derogatory does it mean it is not? Or does only one of the party need to feel it is derogatory? Does a specific party need to feel it is derogatory? Or, is it not related to any partiies to the convo, but based on a general survey of people in the general area?

Arbitrary definitions serve no one, so we have to get specific on what the rules are that determine bad speak. Only by knowing the rules can we ever hope people to avoid such speak.
As I mentioned before somewhere in this long thread, there is no such thing as the vocabulary police, here or anywhere, so any opinions on the subject are basically subjective.

Back