Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Never seen anything like this.

The arrogant vicious aggressive rude are preaching morality to others reserving the right to context to themselves but no one else. Attacking even poor 71 years old with no command of the language or the internet. I assume no apology to her is in the cards. Out of the question. No?

Have a good day.

You really are cute. The brave defender of the attacked, right? You are truly amazing. A superhero without a cape.

Oh, what was this thread about again, I almost forgot because of your masterful, and subtle I might add, recent commentaries.

If you keep practicing slinging mud at people and being outraged like this you may even get good at it one day.

But that won't be today ;)

You really are cute. The brave defender of the attacked, right? You are truly amazing. A superhero without a cape.

Oh, what was this thread about again, I almost forgot because of your masterful, and subtle I might add, recent commentaries.

If you keep practicing slinging mud at people and being outraged like this you may even get good at it one day.

But that won't be today ;)
That is all you got substantive.
Besides diapers.

From all of this back and forth, it’s safe to say that the answer to the OP is “no.”
Many of us believe that what you call people does matter and is an indicator of respect, no matter where you are from and where you are living now.

You seem stuck on this nationalism issue, and again ignore all the rest. I really don't know why I bother sometimes.

In any case: [bold added for emphasis]

"Those foreigners come over here, telling us not to say negrito, well just go back to your country then" That sort of formulation stinks of nationalism whether its an Argentine or any other national.

So, I criticize your nationalism and assumptions, invalidate them anyway as I am in fact Argentine. And then you criticize me for guessing about other people and making assumptions. Have you heard of Irony before?

Again, using nationalism to demean arguments from others who you, mistakenly, assume to be foreign (which is in any case irrelevant).
Geez how can you possibly be so hard headed? All those quotations mean that this choice of words happens everywhere and that when you are in a foreign place there are many things you simply don't get because it sometimes takes a lifetime or growing up in a certain culture to fully understand certain things. This is not nationalism, it is reality. I am sorry if you don't like ti or call it whatever. In any case I feel that it is not that I am nationalistic but you are widely anti nationalistic, which is ok.

Geez how can you possibly be so hard headed? All those quotations mean that this choice of words happens everywhere and that when you are in a foreign place there are many things you simply don't get because it sometimes takes a lifetime or growing up in a certain culture to fully understand certain things. This is not nationalism, it is reality. I am sorry if you don't like ti or call it whatever. In any case I feel that it is not that I am nationalistic but you are widely anti nationalistic, which is ok.
So do you have to grow up in the deep south in the U.S. to fully understand why they use the N word against black people? This is also a "choice of words that happens everywhere" but people from most nations would condemn it (edit to add many people from all nations also celebrate that word still, unfortunately). What you are basically saying is the use of these words is engrained in the culture here (agreed) and use of them is often from a good place (agreed), and simply time will be needed for change. Fine, I guess, but that should mean not calling anyone out on anything that is offensive because hey, time is a great hand washer. Be as rude as you want to anyone at anytime and one day it will get better.

Ries provided an excellent example of an Armenian store owner who is called a Turk, in complete ignorance of the historical impact of doing that. Ignorance is bliss for sure, because simply being ignorant means the people in Argentina should be allowed to call him that rather than be told. After-all, how dare this Turk (ahem, Armenian) be offended when they call him after a people that slaughtered his, it is a term of affection. By the way, everyone on your side of the debate (and it is that, shame on the poster turning this into a nasty argument) ignored what Ries said completely. I am genuinely interested to see what you think about that post.

And yes, because it seems this back scratching is needed here: Other nations have these problems too, I didn't know that was the topic of the thread and thus it should have gone without saying as it is obvious.

Last edited:
And what, pray tell, did Fujimori say when asked how he felt about being called el chino?

The man is serving 25 years for crimes against humanity so let's not worry about any hurt feelings he may have.
But he does illustrate how people can call someone chino without being ignorant of his origins.

As an argentine I find it offensive reading a bunch of foreigners debating on how they have superior morals (in an implied manner, obviously) and therefore how we should be educated. What can we do about this?

As an argentine I find it offensive reading a bunch of foreigners debating on how they have superior morals (in an implied manner, obviously) and therefore how we should be educated. What can we do about this?

It is all said affectionately and as a sign of endearment and familiarity. I have many Argentines friends who don't get offended by it.

It is all said affectionately and as a sign of endearment and familiarity. I have many Argentines friends who don't get offended by it.

Awesome! It took 23 pages, but you finally understood how things work here. Way to go son!

Reality speaks for itself: presidents murdered,students killing students, civil wars over slavery, constant wars everywhete, sale of guns in supermarkets with no contol, foul language and violence everywhere but they tell everybody how to be righteous, honest and proper.....

Back