American Airlines AAirmiles for sale (w/Bonus miles)

Napoleon

Registered
American Airlines is currently running a promotion offering a bonus 15,000 miles if you purchase 40,000 miles.

The price is US$1,100 + US$30 (charge for transaction) and perhaps sales tax, depending on where your credit card is based.

The lowest round trip to the States is 40K miles. (20K each way) Sometimes 30K miles are required one way and then you can find a 20K return. The cheap flights are NOT available all year round. However, they are available. (I'm going back to the States in March/April using AA miles.)

So if you buy the top package, 55K total miles, the cost with everything will be around US$1,200-US$1,250. When booking a flight using miles, you'll still have to pay EZE & US airport fees. (I paid US$70-ish this last time.)

So that's ~US$1,300 for your entire flight and you may have 15K miles left over.

If you're lucky, that's US$1,300 w/15K miles left over. And with only 20K being needed for the cheapest One Way flight, that could be the emergency umbrella that that girl was looking for a few months ago.

Since I accumulate miles through purchases, this would really be:

FLIGHT = US$1,300 / (55K/40K) = US$945.45 because there are 15K Frequent Flier miles still hanging around.

Not a bad price if you're you live in AA miles.

Also, you can do a layover in your "Port of Entry" city. So if you feel like a layover in Dallas, Miami, or NYC, then you can do it each way. Or one one way and another on the return. But if you call one of those cities "home", then you can book through that city on the say to wherever you want to visit (EZE-> MIA-> Denver for skiing) and then you can always return on your trip, layover in your city, and then come back whenever you'd like.

Just a friendly heads up.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp?from=Nav

Do you think Frequent flier miles are safe now that AA is bankrupt and laying off 13,000 employees? I am a bit concerned.

I've been playing the mileage game a lot in the last year, and this one seems too risky to speculate on. It puts the cost of miles at $0.02/mile, which is not the greatest price in the world. (I bought Delta miles at $0.01/mile last year.)

Now, this can work out if you find a low mileage fare, but you have to have a lot of travel flexibility to get those fares. I'm not sure it would be worth the advance spend.

As for the AA bankruptcy, there seems to be very little concern that miles would be affected. A lot of airlines have bankruptcy proceedings and the miles are never touched.

is it worth it? i got an american airlines flight to miami last week for $1040 (final price)

Back