American healthcare

Denver

Registered
I am curious to hear from the non-American readers of this forum: What level of care does your native country provide for illegal aliens?

Am I able to cross illegally into say; England, show up at a hospital and receive free dialysis indefinitely, without fear of being reported to the authorities and thus deported?

Below a link to an article in NYT detailing the care American hospitals are required by law to provide if they have the facilities and expertise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/health/policy/21grady.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

Neil

NO card no service....cards only available to Cdn residents. I have heard of enterprising Americans using Cdn address's (relatives, friends etc) to apply and get a Cdn Health card.... Once a card holder all services are no charge...

Here in Argentina Universal Healthcare is Universal for any human no matter nationality. As a matter of fact there are "health" tours were people from neighboring countries come here to use the hospitals and not only doctor visits, but also complex surgeries transplants included. Argentina, Cuba and South Africa are the 3 third world countries with health care profesionals superior to those found in the first world.
My sister in law is a physician and moved to Australia and was issued an australian Medical Licence with extreme ease.

Universal healthcare here comes with some complications for the poor. Yes, they can enter a hospital and be treated, but they will not get the same level of care that people who can afford private hospital plans/costs. I have had discussions with many local people who have had to go to a public hospital and I would not want to have to deal with that at all.

Neil said:
NO card no service....cards only available to Cdn residents. I have heard of enterprising Americans using Cdn address's (relatives, friends etc) to apply and get a Cdn Health card.... Once a card holder all services are no charge...

Visiting a Doctor or a walk-in clinic the above is correct.

Although if you visit the ER you will not be turned away. You will be billed if you provide your correct address ;)

For hassle free clinic visits no questions asked, no id required.

There are NO private hospitals in Canada. There is NO private health care.

Hey if we don't provide our new class of slave workers with free health care, how are they going to be productive? It's not like we spend much money on health care in Europe nowadays anyways.

But to answer your question, in my country they charge you something like 12 euros to see a doctor regardless of your nationality. I used to live in Spain and there it's completely free, but public health care there is pretty crap.

Neil said:

Yes you can't make an appointment with a doctor, but there's nothing stopping you from showing up from whatever country you're coming from, 6 months pregnant, and coming into the hospital and getting all the same treatments as any Canadian woman. Often these woman actually require more treatment because the babies haven't been tracked during pregnancy and there are often more complications. Once baby is born hospitals are required to give all services necessary to mum and child. Because many of these women have extreme complications they incur bills into the 1000s but these are rarely paid.

Many Americans do border jump to get operations and care in Canada and leave behind bills to the tune of thousands and thousands of dollars every year.

RE: No private healthcare in Canada, somewhat incorrect. While there are no full-service private hospitals yet, a lot of care is being privatised. There are clinics for MRIs and other diagnostic services popping up all over the place, and you can get your knee operations etc in private clinics now (Dr. Day out of Vancouver was the one that pushed for this, I think at one point he may even have been head of BCMA, and he's trying to push even more for private care)

Unfortunately if Canada ever goes for the tiered system I think it's going to end up like Argentina -- the public system will get ignored and fall to bits, and the private system will become a realm for the wealthy. I believe in the public system, I just don't know how much longer it can keep going and fend off the push for private services.

Denver said:
Am I able to cross illegally into say; England, show up at a hospital and receive free dialysis indefinitely, without fear of being reported to the authorities and thus deported?

Simple answer: Yes.

The NHS provides care to anyone and everyone. No wonder it's crumbling. Perhaps there's been a crackdown on this since I moved away from England but when I lived there I had to go to the doctor before I had even been issued with my identity numbers (I can't remember what they're called there) and didn't have to pay a dime. And prescriptions were ridiculously cheap too -- at the time were very heavily subsidised.

American HC system is a mega-crap. I've had some "fortunativity" to exercise that as one of their citizens. All the details in personal message.

In France, you ll get 100% free full quality medical care and 600 USD per month. You will also get your rent paid, which can go up to 4500 USD/month in Paris.

The solidarity health care system is called Couverture Maladie Universelle (Universal Heathcare) and as it s called, is not reserved only to french citizens. You need to prove 3 month of residency in France, whatever your nationality and prove your lack of sufficient income to pay for healthcare.

The 600 USD help is called Revenu Minimum d Insertion (Minimal Integration Income) and is not reserved to nationals. It s being replaced now by the RSA, (Active Solidarity Income), which encourages subsidised people to look for a job.

We also have strange laws like 35 hours maximum work per week, 5 weeks paid holidays...

This should make of us the happiest nation in the world. We are actually the biggest consumers of antidepressants per person. Too much protection kills life and make people more fragile.

Public train service civil servants can retire at the age of 55, but this doesnt seem to make them happy as well. They keep on going on strike several times a year and dont understand why those days arent being paid since "they work for the happiness of all".

Back