American style restaurant, much cheaper than Kansas and very good!

I went there a few weeks ago with a friend. The owner was super nice and made us special cut fries (my dinner companion wanted them thinner). The owner was super interested in our feedback. We tried the wings - good and the ribs. I think the pork are better than the cow.

Definitely worth going to check out. The food was good and less expensive than Kansas. And the owner is super nice and personable.

I was hoping someone had gone there. I walk past it every day and have had hesitations, as I'm a big BBQ fan. My hesitation stems from the fact that i never smell any BBQ smoke when I'm near the place...right be the door, around the corners, etc.

So my question is...do they even smoke and slow cook the ribs? Or do they just use a grill? I've gone to a few places in BA that advertise on their menu "BBQ Ribs" or hinting at a north american style. But every time, it's been just ribs on a grill for 100% of the cooking...which is not "BBQ" as much as it is just "parrilla". Kansas is an exception...they slow cook the ribs and just finish them on the grill.

I'm just weary of any place advertising as "BBQ" when i don't smell a smoker.

I'm anxious for a response. Would love to try it, just don't want to be disappointed like I have been at other places claiming to have north american style BBQ.

I did give it a try a few weeks ago. Ordered the onion rings and BBQ ribs.

I was expecting low quality since it's a culinary style not native to the city: north american BBQ, and virtually every place promoting the style in BA has been subpar (Kansas being the best exception...pretty sold baby back ribs).

But for what I ordered, I gotta say, it was pretty subpar. Tough to say because the owner is very nice and trying to offer something different. Perhaps my expectations were still too high. I mean, in the US, you can go to some hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere and have easily some of the highest quality BBQ in the world compared to that in a city. For as good a rep as Kansas has, I can pull out over a 100 dumps in backwoods and inner cities in the USA and find higher quality BBQ than Kansas. And the same would likely hold for any cuisine being better in it's home country.

But at BarBQ, it was just lacking something. The onion rings were real bad...flavor of sawdust cased around an onion.

The ribs were pretty tender, which is a huge plus. There are a number of places in BA that advertise "BBS Ribs" but all they actually do it take a rack of ribs, throw it on high heat like it's a bife de chorizo, and throw some bad barbacoa sauce on it.

The problem at BarBQ for me though was the actual sauce that is used and served. It's homemade, not out of a bottle, which is great to see and ambitious. But the concoction is actually a grilling sauce. So it might be great to put a thin layer on as a marinade overnight and then cooking the meat. But it's chemical composition just isn't ideal as a serving sauce. You might find marinades and grilling sauces in the same grocers aisle as "BBQ sauces" but a consumer usually knows the difference and what to expect.

One thing worth noting on the BBQ ribs. It's a single rack of baby back ribs. So on the menu, it is cheaper than Kansas by a small amount. But Kansas does give you (2) racks, so it's actually a better deal if judging on volume alone.

I hope they get everything worked out at BarBQ and try some new things, tweakign some recipes and such. Because it's such a great option for BA, in a great neighborhood.

Thank goodness, I´m a vegetarian. Just looking at those pictures, I would imagine that there will be a lot of converts. Yich.

And it's only ten blocks from were I live. Thanks a lot!

Back