Americans & psychoanalysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bf4

Registered
http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_expat-argentina_archive.html
Anybody know why americans are so biased against psychoanalysis? Do you need to be crazy to visit one as this american implies? I know he is just joking but anyway I have always felt that that belief is very ingrained in American society. And the comment that these professionals would chase people......it makes me laugh, one seeks professional help because you feel you can benefit from it, but it's not their aim to leave you penniless...in fact most of them work at the same time for ONGS, shantytowns, state-proyects, public hospitals. And the bottom line is that that's their job, so why shouldn't they charge you for it?
As for why it is so widespread here in Argentina, most argentines feel about it as a way to improve their life quality, daily relationships, family life, the opposite to insanity.
I'm just asking, I had many clues about americans during many years and maybe some of you can give me any answer
Thanks in advance

"bf4" said:
http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_expat-argentina_archive.html
Anybody know why americans are so biased against psychoanalysis? Do you need to be crazy to visit one as this american implies? I know he is just joking but anyway I have always felt that that belief is very ingrained in American society. And the comment that these professionals would chase people......it makes me laugh, one seeks professional help because you feel you can benefit from it, but it's not their aim to leave you penniless...in fact most of them work at the same time for ONGS, shantytowns, state-proyects, public hospitals. And the bottom line is that that's their job, so why shouldn't they charge you for it?
As for why it is so widespread here in Argentina, most argentines feel about it as a way to improve their life quality, daily relationships, family life, the opposite to insanity.
I'm just asking, I had many clues about americans during many years and maybe some of you can give me any answer
Thanks in advance
Do you really think americans have anything against psychoanalysis?????? Watch any Woody Allen movie and you will get a different perspective.V

Hi Nikad,
Yes Woody does bring up the issue in his films but then you have the feeling that the general population doesn't practise it.....am i right? I have always been a great fan of Woody but after living in the USA I didn't see that he represented very much what I saw on the street nor that he enjoyed very much success within USA as other directors that in my humble opinion are not worth leaving your home. He is very reflective, his movies are not as fast paced as I had the impression that americans love. He is more european
Kind Regards,
Barbara

I believe that psychoanalysis is very popular in the US within certain elite groups just as it is very popular within certain elite groups here ( these groups are generally artists, musicians, painters, actors, philosophers, etc )

I think that it is still a taboo topic and a symptom of weakness and illness for the large majority (The Sopranos) it has also been misinterpreted as a status symbo for somel, plus with the newer lines of thought within psychological therapy ( like behavioural therapies, cognitive, etc ) some people just choose these last ones becasue they help them solve their problems faster, without having to put the blame on your parents ;)

I think that one thing does not necessarily lead to the other: there are people who have years of psychoanalysis and still cannot do a good insight, and there are others, that never got analysed that can be very autocritical.

Every single american i know, including myself has gone to a therapist at some point. Many are on meds of some sort (as serious as lithuim) or have been hospitalized. The ones who have not been to them, should go, but because of the american health coverage issues and cost of therapy.. they never will. I havent been to one since I was a child and the state paid for that. I will never be able to afford to go to one, and even if i can, I probably wont because i dont feel i need one anymore. I dont think theres a stigma about it, just maybe with jackasses. Which you can find those anywhere. I think its more a matter of dillhole doctors charging 100$ an hour and the american gov leaving its citizens without any health coverage unless their on welfare.p.s. want to know who sounds bias? how about the person who says "why is it (ALL) americans are .. blah blah"

Interesting… I’ve always wondered why so many Argentines are so dependent on psychoanalysis. Don’t get me wrong… I have nothing against it. I just think some people here go to therapy because of trivial things. Things like for example “I’d like to have a cat but my wife won't let me. What should I do?”
Maybe Americans are more reluctant to psychoanalysis because they are taught to solve problems on their own. American kids are raised to be independent and self-reliant. This is not the case with us Argentines.

Johny,
If they are raised so independently, why do you think that they drink like a fish during college? (In many cases financed by their parents) Are they really independent?
Independent

independent
adjective ( sometimes independent of something or someone )
a not under the control or authority of others;
b said especially of a country or state: completely self-governing.
2 not relying on others for financial support, care, help or guidance.
3 thinking and acting for oneself and not under an obligation to others.
4 maths , etc not dependent on something else for value, purpose or function.
5 said of two or more people or things: not related to or affected by the others.
6 said of private income or resources: large enough to make having to work for a living unnecessary a man of independent means .
7 not belonging to a political party.
8 said of a school or broadcasting company: not paid for with public money; not belonging to the state system.
noun

I would say that b) 2 "not relying from others for financial support, care, guidance, helps" applies, thus I am not to judge how they are raised but by 18 they are not independent. No, by no means, if they do not know when to stop.
And I have witnessed this for three years: weakness, carefulness, unableness to have a healthy good time, giving in to group preassure....
They have a long way to go to be INDEPENDENT
Even if they share an apartment and if luckily landed on a good job upon graduation and bought a brand new condo, that's economic independence, but remember NOT RELYING ON OTHERS FOR CARE OR HELP, if you are throwing up on a zaguan near you dorm till 2 or 3 pm. under say 20 degress celsius, then somebody needs to take care or help

Johny,
Let's draw the line clear:
One thing is to drink when you're an adult and you are supposedly able to take care of yourself and another when you are 20 and you are binging on the road or the parking lot of a house who happened to be near campus. Scandinavians do drink (I do no know the statistics, thanks anwyway, dutch, germans, follow suit) but this drinking do not impair them to continue with their normal lives. The bottom line they are adults, and drinking doesn't have the same effects on your fourties than when you are a teen. (Se cae de maduro,no?). The word that denotes the illness speaks for itself: alcohol dependence: Do you think that you are independent if you need to "depend" "rely" on drugs, alcohol?
Let's move on to your second point: Here you are mixing apples and oranges
Violence in Argentine's football: What the hell does it have to do with independence?
It has to do with sthg worse, more difficult to eradicate, money, money, & corruption, corruption & money (as usual in this country) with footbal managers directly favouring an elite (very well identified-you can count the DiZeos with your fingers) of depraved to kill and threaten, knowing in advance that they have total impunity from
a) Club leaders
b) Argentine Association Football Leaders (no names, argentine residents aremore than familiar with them)
c) Justice that covers both a and c.
What has independence got to do with all this?
Sorry, but you seem to be way off, or live abroad. Then I can understand.

As to why, we argentines live with our parents upto our early thirties, we don't have mortgages at 5% payable at 30 years. Very easy. It has to do with economics, do the maths, you cannot earn 2,000, 3,000 pesos and pay a 10%, 15% loan,(you won't even qualify for it) ergo you need to SAVE let's say 5/10 years, maybe less depending on your expectations to say "Muchas Gracias, Mucho Gusto"
Johny, I'm sorry but you got it all wrong, you need to get to know the country before attempting some general conclusions.

What do alcohol, soccer, independence, etc have to do with psychoanalysis? I think I got lost somewhere along the road :)

Forum software does not allow me to fork several messages at once into a new thread. So as long as several people got off topic and posted new messages there is no easy way to return to the original conversation :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back