Americans will be forced to buy health insurance under Obama's plan?

Per his speech and my understanding, if you have existing health care coverage in the U.S. (and for us expats, can show proof that our health insurance here provides coverage while we are in the US) - no change, you don't have to do anything, all good.

Regarding "required health insurance" : He referred to consumers who go without health insurance as practicing "irresponsible behavior" and proposed that all individuals be required to purchase some type of health insurance. Although
for those who absolutely could not afford insurance, a hardship exemption would be made available.

His contention is that right now - the insured pay higher premiums b/c in essence, they wind up supporting those without health insurance when they get sick (which inevitably everyone will). So be increasing the pool of users, in theory, the costs should come down.

I suggest you all do what I just did. Write your US congressmen and senators to point out that individual mandates should not be applied to citizens living abroad who can demonstrate adequate coverage in their country of primary residence.

citygirl said:

His contention is that right now - the insured pay higher premiums b/c in essence, they wind up supporting those without health insurance when they get sick (which inevitably everyone will). So be increasing the pool of users, in theory, the costs should come down.

But aren't people that get sick without health insurance still responsible for the medical bills that they incur? If this is not the case then why would anyone have insurance?

Cheney said:
But aren't people that get sick without health insurance still responsible for the medical bills that they incur? If this is not the case then why would anyone have insurance?

Theoretically they are, but when you make $20,000 a year and have an accident that costs you 100,000 in medical bills you will simply end up in massive debt and take 10 + years to pay it off.

Scelesta said:
Theoretically they are, but when you make $20,000 a year and have an accident that costs you 100,000 in medical bills you will simply end up in massive debt and take 10 + years to pay it off.

And that is why they should have health insurance. There are a lot of people that are gambling with their future by not having this insurance. But it should not be mandated that the general public should be responsible for the irresponsible?

Scelesta said:
Also- how can we- living in a country with a fabulous healthcare system with, basically a public option.

There are fabulous doctors here (I know many) in this country in both the government and the private sector. But the public option is not so wonderful here as it is strained with immigrants from other countries. There are a lot of procedures that are not covered here and limited rooms in the aging hospitals.

I have not run into a "doctor" that does not have private medical insurance in conjunction with the "public" option. As a matter of fact the government doctors are offered private insurance from the government. There is a constant problem with getting funds for the public hospitals. So if there are lack of funds there is rationing as the doctors can not give patients what they do not have.

It is a little funny when I hear people say that we have "free" health care here. I point out that it is only free to those people that are not paying taxes.

I would guesstimate a vast percentage of those with traumatic injuries and no health insurance don't ever/can't ever pay of those costs. So in essence, they have to make it up somewhere. And that usually is in the premiums paid by those with insurance.

And 2nd point again is economy of scale. If you have a greater pool, the risk is spread out so each person pays less into the system.

It's all in theory of course. As I've posted elsewhere, I have NO doubts that the US healthcare system needs a major overhaul. It's broken, no question about it. The best way to fix it is really the million dollar question.

There are so many proposals being kicked around that it's really impossible to evaluate. And people are cherry-picking the things they don't like (remember the "OMG they are going to have death panels:rolleyes: brouhaha). I am waiting with interest to see what the final plan (or two) looks like before making any judgements.

Cheney said:
And that is why they should have health insurance. There are a lot of people that are gambling with their future by not having this insurance. But it should not be mandated that the general public should be responsible for the irresponsible?

There is a small flaw in your argument here- private healthcare in the US is extraordinarily expensive. My father was self employed for most of my childhood- and 10 years ago we had to pay 2,000 per MONTH for a family of four. Your comment implies that healthcare is an option for all, and that it is a choice not to have it. It really is not in many cases, and that is the big problem that needs to be solved.

Back