America's Cup

dennisr

Registered
America's Cup: New Zealand Vs USA
What happened Kiwis? Quite a come back by USA.
These sailing boats are wild, capable of doing over 40 knots.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11129681

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v2SLU_rlEA&sns=em

Dean Barker needs to walk the plank if he loses tomorrow. Oracle has a faster boat and better tactician by far.
The Kiwi's deserve to lose this one sorry.

Amazing how he ran across that little rope at the end!

Thanks dennisr, yes let's remember there is hardly an American on the Team USA boat. Further more Team USA's boat was made in Auckland, New Zealand.

And further more fried turkey. don't you think Oracle deserve to lose for their blatant and incredible cheating?

Thanks dennisr, yes let's remember there is hardly an American on the Team USA boat. Further more Team USA's boat was made in Auckland, New Zealand.

And further more fried turkey. don't you think Oracle deserve to lose for their blatant and incredible cheating?
They have already been given a severe penalty for cheating earlier.
As much as everyone wants the underdog to win it looks like Oracle has this one in the bag. The boat is flying and they are making better calls

Since all the team members are basically employees, what difference does it make where they are from?
How is that different from Euro football teams with Argentine players?

Certainly tactics make a difference here, so brains are involved, and brawn as well, but a huge percentage of this is really just about how much money was spent, and how it was spent- meaning the wealthiest, savvy shopper usually wins. While these boats are ostensibly the "same", of course there are many differences between them- Heck, I believe Oracle even has one boat for races that are primarily upwind, and a different boat for downwind.

I find this about as interesting as watching space shuttle racing would be.

I am much more interested in the science, and construction of the boats. And, I am somewhat dissapointed that Oracle chose this time to have their boats built in New Zealand - as the previous generation was built in Anacortes, Washington, a town I can see from my window.

It will be the greatest comeback in sports history. Period.

The technology involved is incredible.

I remember achieving 11 knots through the straits of Gibraltar in a wooden 35 footer, thinking how fast that was. Over the ground of course.
40 knots must be spectacular!

Back