An anecdote from LA to remind that Arg's aren't the only ones with attitude problems

It is possible that Argentines are nicer to foreigners. Although I would have thought it was the other way around. I think different people use different standards to judge whether somebody is rude or polite. Last night my wife and I were at this carneceria (or however you spell that thing) and we had a number and were waiting our turn. This lady came in, no number, nothing, she went straight up to the dude to buy whatever it was she wanted to buy. The guy asked her for her number, she got mad and said she didn't have a number. We got up and told the guy that we had a number and so he gave us what we wanted. The lady was mad and thought we were rude and we of course thought she was both rude and barbaric. We walked out happy though, she was still in there arguing with the guy.

Another example. Its maybe the people at my church or something. But, when they talk to me, they have a habit of touching my arm. I find that very rude and invasion of my private space!!! They think it polite. A lot of the stuff that people think is polite/rude depends on who you talk to.

To me, my wife and your friend Argentines seem rude but to a lot of others they are polite.

Back