An argentinian with a few questions

ANADIANA

Registered
Hi Everybody!
I am an argentinian, from the north of the country (I don't live in Buenos Aires) studying to become a translator. I was making a search on the web and found this forum. I am shocked about what I have been reading here. First of all I am surprised that so many foreigners decided to live in Argentina (I guess mainly in Buenos Aires) as expats.
So this are my questions, if someone has time enough and is kind to reply:
Why do you prefer to live in a developing country instead of in what is called 'the first world'?
Is it there a lack of opportunity due to the recent crises (US, EU)?
I see that many of you are concerned about the cost of living in Buenos Aires, and from what I read in this forum I infer that the majority of you are not just moving to BA to live in a superich style... so even if you don't indulge yourself in luxury here, are you still living better than the standard of living you would had in the US, EU?
What other aspects besides the economic reasons make you prefer living here? (I mean by this cultural aspects, pace of life, etc...)
I am asking you this since I have EU passport and I was thinking about moving abroad after finishing my studies, but now I'll think about this twice!

I think expats in Buenos Aires, like expats anywhere, all have very unique reasons for coming (and staying) in a foreign country.
I know a lot of long-term expats are here because of Argentine family (husbands, wives, children). Some people just wanted a new experience. Other people fell in love with the country/culture.
I moved over here several years ago because I much preferred aspects of Argentine life - I feel the pace is slower here than at home (UK), though not toooo slow. I also like how the day is longer. Here, I can shop, go for a coffee, etc at 10pm so I get to "enjoy" more of my day after work, which wasn't as easy at home. In some ways I feel like I'm getting more out of life here.
It is difficult though - I earn in pesos and the cost of living here is getting ridiculous. While I came for quality of life several years ago, I'd say that (due to inflation) that quality of life, in many ways, is not as great. Some expats do have jobs in the US or Europe and are therefore able to maintain (whilst not necessarily a "luxurious" lifestyle, certainly a more economically stable lifestyle than those of us earning in local currency). However, those expats are in the minority.
I'm now married to an Argentine so will probably stay longer (if I were still single, I probably would have returned home to make money!). If I do ever go back to the UK, I will miss Buenos Aires greatly.
Having said all that, there are ups and downs to living anywhere and I would highly recommend to anyone (Argentine or foreigner!) with the opportunity to live abroad for a while to go for it! Either you'll find something better/different or you'll appreciate where you're from a little more. For me, it was both!
Good luck!

The majority of people here are not truely expats. Some yes, but most are tourists on an extended adventure. Next year they'll be in Peru or Chile or the next Cool place to be.
Time for a survey???????

Most long term expats who live and work here love this country warts and all . There is a small minority of course who use forums like these to make others feel as miserable as they do and is not a reflection of the majority fortunately.

Argentina is expensive and has been through most of its history . If you decide to move here for a cheaper lifestlye these are completely wrong reasons . I came many times for holiday before I moved here and am very happy that I choose Argentina as my home.

ANADIANA said:
Hi Everybody!
Why do you prefer to live in a developing country instead of in what is called 'the first world'?

As seems natural to me, I think the concept of "first world" is, in general, much more important for people who did not grow up in a "first world" country.

Many Argentines have asked me why I would come to live to Argentina and I usually explain that if you have a good job here there is no reason to leave this country (except out of curiosity).

Most people with any sense of adventure like the idea of living somewhere else - so if you have a visa for working abroad you should def go for it. There is quite a lot of work out in Europe, especially in certain jobs like IT.
BUT This whole notion that foreigners come here with fortunes.... and that we find it cheap in BA.... that reality disappeared about three years ago.

Hi!
This is an interesting question. The 'first world' as you call it is not all its made up to be. Just cos you live in a super rich country doesn't make you super rich. It's all relative. Cost of living is so high there, that the quality of life isn't better. Yes in the UK we have free healthcare which is v good, but you have free healthcare here if you want it.

I personally have always felt very uncomfortable living in a rich country, when i feel that a lot of those riches have been gained through exploitation and colonialism. Using poorer countries over centuries for gain. It has nothing to do with recession or anything like that for me. I was born in London, and I have never wanted to live there for a long time. Of course there are great opportunities and every country has its problems. But Argentina is a great place, and you should definitly think twice before making the move just because you think another country is richer so that must mean better. I have found argentine's very critical of their country, which has a lot of foundation, but it doesn't make another country any better. IN this respect I have actually come to appreciate the UK as my home, and accept a lot of faults and things i dont like about it. But i don't think I will ever shake off that feeling of unease that has been with me most of my life when living there.

Another reason that has come to my mind, is that due to the very unequal immigration rules, it is a lot easier to come to Buenos Aires (if not to make a living here) for a foreigner than to enter countries in Europe or USA for foreigners. Visas etc are a huge issue (i know since my boyfriend is getting one to come to London with me for a bit until we work out what we are doing!)

ARgentina is a beautiful, culturally rich and interesting place, and if you can make your life work here as a foreigner there seems no difference to me between living here and any other place you would like to call home.

Very interesting thread! I also live in a third world country, South Africa and I want to relocate to Argentina. Being a philosopher I spend many hours thinking about the world and the way it's moving and I would like to share a few observations I've made. Before I do, let me say that I neither support nor condemn your intentions to leave Argentina - I accept that the world is a global village today and that people move around all the time, so please don't misconstrue my arguments as criticism!

The first is that nothing is permanent. Looking at history you'll notice that some countries that are considered to be relative backwaters were once at the pinnacle of development and civilisation. The first global center of commerce was Alexandria in Egypt and it held that position for hundreds of years. The next was Cordoba in Spain. Today it is New York. Where will it be tomorrow? Frankly, nobody knows! These things are cyclical - Argentina may very well be a superpower in 50 years time...

Which brings me to my second observation. What prevents Arg from being one of the world's leading nations? I've asked myself that question many times and I'm not even living there yet! It is striking how many Argentines have European passports and have their eye on Europe and I wonder if this "backdoor mentality" may have something to do with Argentina's failure to arrive (as it were). You know, I am a huge fan of The Eagles and they have a song called The Last Resort, which is one of my favourites. It contains a line, "Cause there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here." Perhaps too many Argentines feel that there is still a "new frontier" or backdoor, namely Europe and that type of sentiment may prevent folks from making it great.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I don't know if I'm a qualified "expat" as I moved here only 2 months ago, but I've visited a few times. I decided to move here because life happened to me. I've enjoyed every Latin culture I've visited. I lived in Miami. Of all the "Latin" areas in the world, Buenos Aires seemed like one of the best options.

In the 1st world, I feel safer. Things seem cleaner perhaps. Buildings are newer, safer, cleaner. The sidewalks are certainly more orderly :) I don't think I'm living THAT much better here vs. the US. Steaks are cheaper, but Big Macs cost more. Beer is cheaper! I'm taking Spanish at UBA, and I can easily compare a poor school in the US to the place where I am taking classes - the building, while at one time VERY gorgeous, is VERY run down and doesn't have HEAT!!!!

I don't think I'll live here the rest of my life, but I wouldn't mind having a vacation house here at some point. I would suggest that if your life allows, have a European experience.

ANADIANA said:
I see that many of you are concerned about the cost of living in Buenos Aires, and from what I read in this forum I infer that the majority of you are not just moving to BA to live in a superich style... so even if you don't indulge yourself in luxury here, are you still living better than the standard of living you would had in the US, EU?
What other aspects besides the economic reasons make you prefer living here? (I mean by this cultural aspects, pace of life, etc...)
I am asking you this since I have EU passport and I was thinking about moving abroad after finishing my studies, but now I'll think about this twice!

Just because a country is wealthy, doesn't mean the quality of life is better there. I personally am moving to BA because I would like to experience a culture other than American culture. I would like to think that there are places in the world (other than the US) that better suit what I value in life, but I will never know until I have tried. So my advice if you want to move to Europe for whatever reason... go for it!

Back