An argentinian with a few questions

I think it's imperative for every young person who has the opportunity to go abroad--whether to work, study, travel or just be a bum--to do it. And not just short vacations but months or years spent outside of one's home country. Getting out of one's comfort zone is key.

And while it's obviously great for an individual to grow and learn by living abroad, it's not an entirely selfish act. I remember talking to an Australian a while back who told me that Australia would probably be the most hideously backward place in the world if young Australians weren't so strongly encouraged to get the hell out for a few years and go discover the world. And the same is really true of any country; there is a great benefit to having your young people go scout out what's going on in the world and bring their discoveries back home.

So, OP, go. Even if it's a bit of a struggle at times, and you end up bitching on forums like this one, it's all a learning experience and well worth it.

I think it is true that most of the long term expats are here for family. I remember reading that only a small percent of people who live abroad actually stay there. What better motivation to make it to live in another country than family and love?

If I were you, I would absolutely go to the US. The Argentines I know who have been there always tell me they are really impressed. I am a bit proud of our abundance of beautiful cities and the vast amount of scenic nature. :) I know we do have a few economic problems right now but I doubt it is worse than here.

gouchobob said:
If I were Argentine and young and had the opportunity to live and work somewhere else I would be out of here at the speed of sound. With the problems here, low wages, lack of opportunities, it would be the smart move.

I have about sixty great nieces/nephews in the 20-35 age range. Not a single one wants to leave, although many of them have EU passports and could easily emigrate. They either created their own job opportunities, or got their first jobs through family connections. And they all have prospered - moved on to better jobs, got married, bought their own apartments, and started families.

My own daughter, born and bred in the US, and an Ivy League university graduate, chose to make her life in Argentina. Two years after finishing college she moved to BA, and never looked back.

Frankly, I didn't understand her at the time, as I now don't understand why my nieces and nephews cling so stubbornly to a place where life is not as easy as up North. But they do.

I'm originally from the U.S. but have been here in Buenos Aires for almost 8 years. I originally moved here because I had been dating a girl from Argentina while I was living in NYC and she always told me how great the city was, etc. etc.

I had the opp just a few months later to move come here on a business trip, fell in love with the city, and moved here 3 weeks later. Didn't know anyone and didn't speak any Spanish (at the time).

For me it is simple. The style of life here is different than anywhere I have lived (U.S., Singapore, EU). I explain Argentina to my friends abroad as the 4 F's: Futbol, Family, Food, Friends. Compare that to Singapore where they have the 5 C's: Credit Card, Condo, Car, Cash.

I'm lucky to have my own business with all my clients based abroad so my income is in dollars and euros, so yes, I certainly enjoy the cost of living and am able to indulge when I want.

Still, financial situations aside, for me Buenos Aires is an amazing city and I have no plans on leaving...ever.

These forums attract those who for personal reasons did not make it in Argentina or had no patience to understand a different culture and for this they constantly attack Argentina and its people . But many here have commented on the misinformation prevalent on Gouchobobs posts and others that are plain propaganda created to show that the USA is a land of milk and honey. What is happening in Arizona USA is a terrible indictment of the society that they profess to show as a role model .

Millions of immigrants to this land have prospered beyond their wildest dreams and one that comes to mind is the Irish who were despised in Australia and the USA while here they were treated with respect and built up a thriving community that continues to today .

http://www.irlandeses.org/mckenna.htm

pericles said:
These forums attract those who for personal reasons did not make it in Argentina or had no patience to understand a different culture and for this they constantly attack Argentina and its people .

How true....

I've only been here a few weeks but I love the place - 'warts and all' :) I'm coming back in January, have a job lined up and my woman is organizing an apartment for us for when I come back. I will be lecturing again (local university) and my Silvia will be doing her own thing (managing bands etc) - I can't say I feel qualified to say much - but from what I have seen so far the place is far less anal and politically correct than what I am used to back home and I get the feeling that I will actually be able to breathe here - and be myself a bit more - this works for me ;)

Amor Porteño

It’s the gorditas sonrientes
who will put a rush order on my laundry load
with a simple
alfajor bribe

It’s the Uruguayan kioskera
who preaches Galeano
and will always break a 100
for me

It’s the portero curioso
who insists on picking up
tidbits of English
al salir y entrar
(‘good night’ ’see you soon’)

It’s the family-owned bakery
that always saves me
churros de chocolate
on Sundays

It’s the gerente de la parrilla
who blissfully exclaims
”El Gringo!”
when I pass through the doors

It’s the carnicero rockero
at the Chino
who consistently reminds me
of his encounter with
Gene Simmons

It’s the bar on the corner
serving the same faces
the same drinks
since 1973
(My photo was on the wall
until the new management
”modified” the decor)
fuckers.

But my amor porteño
goes beyond
barrio pleasantries

Whether it’s Tuesday or Friday
when the sun sleeps
the night is born
and the city comes to life

There’s live jazz in Chacarita
Fancy some tango at the Cathedral?
What’s cooking at Niceto Club?

Pero che,
It’s only midnight.
Have another Fernet
para quitarte la ansiedad

Vamos a Tigre
el domingo?
I’ll bring the mate
You bring the facturas

Don’t forget about
Día del Amigo
next Friday

Va a haber un asado
en lo de Lucas
Vacío, asado de tira
chorizo, morcilla
and my favorite;
pechito de cerdo

El sabor porteño
will moisten your palate
and keep you in
constant anticipation
of the next
adventure

By Anonymous

Me thinks that must be it.. at least for me...

ANADIANA said:
Hi Everybody!
I am an argentinian, from the north of the country (I don't live in Buenos Aires) studying to become a translator. I was making a search on the web and found this forum. I am shocked about what I have been reading here. First of all I am surprised that so many foreigners decided to live in Argentina (I guess mainly in Buenos Aires) as expats.
So this are my questions, if someone has time enough and is kind to reply:
Why do you prefer to live in a developing country instead of in what is called 'the first world'?
Is it there a lack of opportunity due to the recent crises (US, EU)?
I see that many of you are concerned about the cost of living in Buenos Aires, and from what I read in this forum I infer that the majority of you are not just moving to BA to live in a superich style... so even if you don't indulge yourself in luxury here, are you still living better than the standard of living you would had in the US, EU?
What other aspects besides the economic reasons make you prefer living here? (I mean by this cultural aspects, pace of life, etc...)
I am asking you this since I have EU passport and I was thinking about moving abroad after finishing my studies, but now I'll think about this twice!

ssr said:
I think it's imperative for every young person who has the opportunity to go abroad--whether to work, study, travel or just be a bum--to do it. And not just short vacations but months or years spent outside of one's home country. Getting out of one's comfort zone is key.

And while it's obviously great for an individual to grow and learn by living abroad, it's not an entirely selfish act. I remember talking to an Australian a while back who told me that Australia would probably be the most hideously backward place in the world if young Australians weren't so strongly encouraged to get the hell out for a few years and go discover the world. And the same is really true of any country; there is a great benefit to having your young people go scout out what's going on in the world and bring their discoveries back home.

So, OP, go. Even if it's a bit of a struggle at times, and you end up bitching on forums like this one, it's all a learning experience and well worth it.

Australia... country may be wealthy and economy strong but people.. they can travel as much as they want but that Aussie will still go back home and say: 'I traveled all over the world, but we have the best country in the world' and if you dare to tell them it is not the case, they will get very defensive and upset.

You just tell them, your country is boring mate and the people are secretly racist- so in a way hideously backward.

I wonder if they would have separate toilets for the Chinese and Muslims, if they weren't encouraged to travel so much?

Back