An existential question about ...... Star Wars

AngelinBA

Registered
My 8 yr old son is collecting the Star Wars toys from the Jack Sorpresa chocolate boxes and he´s interested in seeing the movies.
I grew up with the original movies, and think they´re absolute classics. I think the later 3 are good adventure movies.

My heart says ´show him the movies in the order that they were made´so he can truly appreciate the art that is Star Wars ;).
But wouldn´t it make more storytelling sense for him to watch them in order of the story?

I know this isn't as interesting a drama as the ongoing inflation, reelection chances of CFK or where to get imported foods, but I'd appreciate your opinions!:)

Yes, I hate prequels, they are basically about spoilt milk. X-Mprequels especially suck.

I got into Star Wars late. I had all six DVDs in my possession so I asked a friend of mine who is a true Star Wars freak the same question you're asking. He gave me some of the best advice I've ever received:

Watch them in this order:

Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Stop

Yep, that´s what I thought but he´s 8 and will love all the soldiers and battles in episodes 1 - 3. I would hate for him to dismiss the first 3 movies after seeing the superior effects in the last 3. That would make me sad. :(

as and old school saw them all as they came out and have them all
i would say
see
original star wars 4 (In this version han shoots first in the bar) ,5 and 6

then

new episodes 1 2 and 3

and then
the special edition 4 5 6

Good luck :)

Original then new. That's how the world saw them. And your point about the special effects in the new ones spoiling the original ones for an 8-year-old is a good one.

do not! Do Not! DO NOT! SHOW HIM 1,2 or 3 until he is at least 25 yrs old or you will ruin his childhood and scar him for life. I saw #1 when I was 26 and still haven't recovered. Keep him in a safe bubble with lots of #4, Empire, and very small doses of ROJ.

BTW this topic is far better than CFK, Peanut Butter or zapallo prices, because its a matter of LIFE OR DEATH!!!

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Muttered under my breath every time I deal with an Argentine bureaucrat.

I agree the most with Empshel, however I would add this. Have him watch 4,5, and 6. If you still really feel he should watch them all, allow him to watch the prequels afterwards if...and only if, you follow up the prequels by letting him watch all of the Lord of the Rings movies (extended versions of course) so he can end with good movies while simultaneously seeing how the prequels should have been made.

Back