An interesting article on the use of the word 'expats'

Increasingly I have felt uncomfortable when British people overseas, or press organisations such as the Guardian, use the term "expat" with reference to Britons abroad, then use words such as "immigrant" when describing people from other countries who are in the UK. Strangely, this sometimes extends to other non-British foreigners overseas. So, a Briton resident in France might refer to himself as an expat, but call a Polish resident of France an immigrant, as if somehow there is a distinction to be made; although he may later refer to someone from the USA as an "American expat", implying that there is a sort of hierarchy of foreignness.

He makes a good point. However, don't we see the cultural immersion of immigrants and expatriates as a key distinction? In other words, don't we tend to believe that expatriates are temporary group and that immigrants are a permanent group in a country?

Also, I personally don't think that the word "immigrant" carries a negative connotation, as the author implies. It all depends on its usage. Perhaps in the UK it does, but at least in the United States most people proudly say how X-ancestor emigrated from X-country. Furthermore, I don't think people who refer to themselves as "expats" would have a hard time calling themselves "immigrants." I wouldn't.

Anyway, I don't believe the word "expatriate" is outdated. I think "expatriate" and "immigrant" reflect different levels of permanency and assimilation.

bradlyhale said:
I think "expatriate" and "immigrant" reflect different levels of permanency and assimilation.

Especially the first.

The Free Dictionary:

expatriate
n / adj expatriate [eksˈpeitriət, eksˈpatriət]
(a person) living outside his own country.

immigrant
n / adj immigrant [ˈimigrənt]
(a person) who has come into a foreign country to live there permanently, not as a tourist or visitor

According to this, every immigrant is an expatriate but not otherwise.

I still get the feeling that the term "expat" is the buzzword in today's media articles.

I understand that every emigrant is an immigrant, there are two simultaneous processes.

I know this one!

It's the same difference between tourist and immigrant.

Tourists and expats are well to do (relatively), immigrants are poor. That's why they emigrate.

In definition they may possess a different meaning from the definition that we use them as in current speech.

In definition an Ex-pat is living outside ones own country and an immigrant is one who has come into a foreign country to live there permanently.

In dialogue we use them differently; We differentiate them as, an Expat is largely relocated through pull factors, while an immigrant is largely relocated through push factors.

rrptownley said:
In dialogue we use them differently; We differentiate them as, an Expat is largely relocated through pull factors, while an immigrant is largely relocated through push factors.
Like the pull of a woman for instance.

;)

The subtext needs to be said outloud:

Immigrant: someone who moves from a poorer country to a richer country
Expat: someone who moves from a richer country to a poorer country

MorganF said:
The subtext needs to be said outloud:

Immigrant: someone who moves from a poorer country to a richer country
Expat: someone who moves from a richer country to a poorer country

Historically speaking, expats have often flocked to cultural centers, not necessarily poorer countries. Think Hemingway and Fitzgerald in Paris.

mobri1130 said:
Historically speaking, expats have often flocked to cultural centers, not necessarily poorer countries. Think Hemingway and Fitzgerald in Paris.

I'll take "Cities Not Under The Misquided Prohibition Law" for $200 Alex!

Back