Anarcho-capitalist Javier Milei is stirring up politics

From that news article I linked, itt seems like he is drawing the comparisons himself, but I agree with you.
I can't speak on behalf of a Bolsonaro comparison..but he's shown very few views that are Trump in nature. This guy is anti tariff, for one. That's a big difference between protectionist Trump.

But yes, to camberui's point, this is a media drawn line. He's not marching frente para todes in the gay pride parade so he's Bolsonaro. The media really got ahead of itself assuming the power to label people willy-nilly. Oh well.

While the addition of a new voice in Argentina is welcome to trigger debate around the issues traditional politicians don’t want to touch, as for his political views he looses me at issues like climate change denial, promoting guns and being anti-abortion. Just so unnecessary and feels so out of context for a country like Argentina. Even more so when you consider many of his voters are high school aged kids and people in the villas. But sure in this context and social mood the emergence of more extreme headline grabbing personalities is to be expected.

I just wish some new face would also set up a (Canadian/ European/ Australasian style) Green Party in Argentina that could give voice to a more sustainable progressive agenda too without antiquated economic ideologies or the hands of corrupt union leaders and the church attached. For many younger people especially those who don’t feel represented by any of the major parties it would be a welcome addition that would help stir up politics further.

Isn't that...i don't know..objectification or stereotyping or some ess de caballo that's really de moda in half the world and intensely promoted here?

No. Vidal had her opportunity and lost it to the incredibly 200+ iq genius that is Mr. Axel Kiciloff. I don't think she needs a single minute more of consideration for anything important.
I'm an equal-opportunity offender :cool:, sorry not sorry, but her vibe of a child in a sweet-shop realizing that she can take whatever she wants with no consequences (I'm referring to her unpayable with her own resources USD 500k+ pad in Recoleta if it's not clear) does get to me. We would be lucky if she turned into a giant blueberry, but that only happens in films.

I think it's correct to hold the current opposition to a higher standard, they should be offering something better than the lot currently in power, but until now it's a case of "quitate tu, pa' ponerme yo" at the money spigot. I already mentioned Violet... sorry, Vidal, the other candidate, Cancun Diego (yes, the guy who sent his son to Cancun in the middle of the first wave, and then brought him back on a fake PCR test), is more of the same. I know next to nothing about the 3rd candidate in CABA, the doctor guy, but experience of political doctors in CABA suggests he should stick to what he knows.

Oh and about Millei, well, gun-nut, anti-abortion (as in none at all for whatever reason), anti vax, that's enough Bolsotrumpism to validate the comparison. The rest is just opportunism, offering to work with anyone who's against your political adversary isn't a concept or a political philosophy, it's just cheap rabble-rousing.

Cancun Diego (yes, the guy who sent his son to Cancun in the middle of the first wave, and then brought him back on a fake PCR test), is more of the same.

Wow he brought his son back on a fake PCR test? Shouldn't he be charged for facilitating this fake PCR test?

Maria Eugenia Vidal is a potentially formidable woman. She might well be Jefe de Gobierno of CABA one day, or even presidenta. If I was a would-be kingmaker looking for a catspaw, I would certainly prefer her to Bullrich or Lilita.

I know, its easy to dismiss her now, but she's still a mokosa. Give her time to grow into her full malevolent prime. If you look up some video of Cristina at that age, she wasn't much more polished.

On the other hand, she might never be more than a female equivalent of Scioli, who had his one shot and blew it.

Last edited:
I watch the news sometimes to practice my Spanish (until the day I can wander back down to BA), and I think the electioneering tactics of Milei and Trump are *super* similar. Both have gone from being eccentric TV characters to ruling the snarky young social media platforms: soooo many Milei memes walk the waggish line between adulation and self-parody. The media in BA seemed surprised at the support Javier got from the lower classes, in the same way the USA media was surprised that farmers supported an NYC developer with gold fixtures.

The intersection with Bolsonaro is interesting too; Eduardo was in Washington on Jan 6th, and he's Steve Bannon's guy in S. America (https://www.pri.org/stories/2021-10...onaro-bolsters-his-base-far-right-rhetoric-us). Eduardo publicly supports Milei; and with Milei's media is so reminiscent of Trump's (I'm thinking of JM's dramatic Goth campaign movie), I can't imagine Bannon doesn't have a hand in it; serving up targeted ads on social media, sock puppet cheerleader accounts, etc.

With Milei's anti-abortion stance, doesn't he appeal to the Evangelicals down there? Is this a recent position for him, like Trump's in 2016? From here in the USA, I think he's got a future. Unfortunately; but I say that as someone who didn't care for Trump's style of governing (to put it mildly).

Many many, will vote for Milei in November, so he may be ahead of Frente de Todos in CABA..! The Second political group after the JxC... It may happen stay tuned.

He's forming a clever coalition including young people and business interests.

I don't know why people are calling him a Trump or a Bolsonaro; he's clearly someone else.

The real problem with his agenda, is not his vision but the mechanics of how to get there. And while his vision is refreshing in certain respects, he'll face the same tall challenges that have quickly hobbled other would-be reformers.

I can't speak on behalf of a Bolsonaro comparison..but he's shown very few views that are Trump in nature. This guy is anti tariff, for one. That's a big difference between protectionist Trump.

But yes, to camberui's point, this is a media drawn line. He's not marching frente para todes in the gay pride parade so he's Bolsonaro. The media really got ahead of itself assuming the power to label people willy-nilly. Oh well.

I agree that the media is lazy and makes these comparisons willy nilly. Trump, Bosonaro and Duterte don't line up completely but they put them all in the same basket.

However, Milei himself is trying to draw attention to his favorable views of these presidents. The article I linked to was a Milei quote about how he had a natural alliance with them. He wrote a book with Trump center on the cover, not sure what he said about Trump in the book though. He went out of his way to comment that the election was stolen from Trump, only something hardcore Trump partisans believe.

This is not to say they are the same. Trump is more like a right wing K. Protectionist, blames outside forces for troubles in the country, populists, calls media fake news, drums up conspiracy theories about the elites trying to take him down, etc.

Back