Any advice?

JacqP

Registered
I am looking to move from the states to BA in a year. Any advice on moving companies? Advice on the local areas? Things to do? Things to avoid?

You could begin by searching the threads on this site. Similar questions have been asked in the last 12 months and lots of information has been provided. You may need to provide more background to get good advice. If you want advice on moving companies that implies you are imagining a major and long-term move, which would only be possible if you already have citizenship in Argentina, or think you can be granted residency easily. But if you have either of those, you must already know a fair bit about Buenos Aires.

Excellent advice from @Alby If you are coming to Argentina to join a multi-national, make sure HR do all the heavy lifting and if they don't have a company apartment you can use while finding out where you really want to live, get them to organise a temporary rental.

Excellent advice from @Alby If you are coming to Argentina to join a multi-national, make sure HR do all the heavy lifting and if they don't have a company apartment you can use while finding out where you really want to live, get them to organise a temporary rental.
... and make sure your salary is set in "dólares". If they actually pay you in pesos then at the black market exchange rate (dólar blue exchange rate).

... and make sure your salary is set in "dólares". If they actually pay you in pesos then at the black market exchange rate (dólar blue exchange rate).
if you are working for a large corp you are not going to be paid by the blue dollar. you will almost surely get the official rate.

if you are working for a large corp you are not going to be paid by the blue dollar. you will almost surely get the official rate.
Getting paid at the 'official' (=fantasy) exchange rate is no good. The 'large' corporations themselves use the "Contado con Liquidación" to exchange dollars to pesos legally (exchange rate similar to the dolar blue rate). So, if they offer a salary in pesos based on the official exchange rate then it is just a ripoff. Basically a pay cut of ~40%. I would not sign. Not worth it.

I understand that. I'm just saying that in reality it isn't going to happen. large companies or multi nationals likely have generic HR policies and that's just how it is. they probably won't make special cases. do you think they pay local employees the blue?

Back