Any Aussies here?

WoodbridgeNJ

Registered
I've read in another forum if your phone is connected to WiFi you can recieve texts from your bank etc even without international roaming... is that true? Also it seems like Telstra doesnt even offer international roaming in Argentina so how are you making bank transfers etc ?

What's the best way to access money from an Australian account there pay everything with credit card? Is it worth it to buy USD in Australia and bring them ?

Basically im looking for a general advice type thread for Australians In BA

It's not entirely clear what you are trying to do. The Commonwealth Bank sends codes to its App, which you can receive here when connected to Wifi and thus complete a transaction you are undertaking on internet banking in the event it is one of those that need a code. (I have an account with another bank that will only send SMS codes to an Australian cel phone number, which is useless of course.)

Buying US$ cash in Australia either at your bank or at a money exchange works fine. But make sure they give you the right kind of bills.

I imagine you can pay here with your credit card, and get the relevant rate, which will be less than the rate you can get bringing US$ and changing them for the blue.

Why can't you Western Union your money and collect pesos here, like everyone else seems to?

If your bank uses an app to authenticate transactions, then a WiFi connection is fine. If you're dependent on an actual SMS arriving, my understanding is that not just any WiFi network will support this, since your mobile phone needs to be authenticated via the SIM card. WiFi networks operated by Personal / Flow, possibly also Claro and Movistar as part of their triple-play offerings (cable TV, internet, phone) should support this, but it would really need to be verified on a case by case basis. It's not something you would just assume works.

Are you sure Telstra doesn't offer roaming here? I can check it, but it does sound a bit odd.

I use aldimobile, SMSs work fine.
Great I have aldimobile. Do you pay for international roaming or can you can receive SMS from Australia just being connected to wifi?

Sorry I am very bad with technology and haven't travelled overseas in many years, since before smart phones were a thing

Great I have aldimobile. Do you pay for international roaming or can you can receive SMS from Australia just being connected to wifi?

Sorry I am very bad with technology and haven't travelled overseas in many years, since before smart phones were a thing
Hi, turn on roaming in your account, and you need to have some money in your credit account with them, from which they will deduct roaming costs. Receiving SMS is free, however.

Back