Any expat Racing socios or fanaticos

Markgeezer

Registered
Just wondering if there are Racinguistas on this site, where you are from and what part of El Cilindro you usually go to, or have been to. I'm a Brit who spent a decade or so in the popu, occasionally go to the C and E, but am most at home in the D in the 21 yrs I've been going. I mostly gave up away matches a few years back with all the restrictions. Thought that we were let down bigtime on Sunday, although the atmosphere was awesomeb as usual. Maybe hook up if you go regularly. Aguante La'Acade

Given my green and white tendencies , I have mixed feelings about Racing Club.....

But fate being what it is , i come to Buenos Aires and who do i meet ...a lovely Racinguista portena who has become Mrs GlasgowJohn

glasgowjohn said:
Given my green and white tendencies , I have mixed feelings about Racing Club.....

So you're not wearin the jersey just yet then, is what your saying or going to many matches. One of my best match-going friends just emmigrated back from Prestwick after splitting up with his ex. and the first thing he did was last Sundays match.

Quite the opposite. I am a fan of Independiente and I will tell you why. When I first arrived in BA(around July 2010) I frequented El Alamo(big suprise right) Anyways one day late in August, I met some Argentines there and ended up drinking with them all night, including once the Alamo closed at 4, we drank on the street for another 2 hours. Anyways, I told this one guy in the group, Matias, that I love football. He said he was an Independiente fan and I told them that I am going to try and go to the Clasico between Independiente and Racing. He immediately told me he would take me. We exchanged numbers and parted ways.(the game was not until October 10th) I had forgotten about it, and low and behold the week before the game comes and I a text telling me how to get Avellaneda and what time to be there. Honestly, I had not expected him to come through on a drunken promise but surely he did. He informed there were no more tickets and that I will be using his friend's socio card. So now, not only was I going to one of the most heated derby's in Argentina, I was going at no cost! Unbelievable, I thought to myself. Sunday came and I met him and his friend at a busy intersection(can't remember which) in Avellaneda.
I'm a 6'2 brown haired light skinned American and his friends socio card looked nothing like me, yet I passed through both checkpoints with flying colors. We were in the stadium 2 hours before kickoff and it was already electric. Before this I went to Argentina vs Spain and River-Quilmes both at El Monumental and both games were great and I felt safe the whole time. This was a different story, I was in the heart of the popular. Matias assured me I would be fine. It was the most intense and craziest thing I have ever been a part of. I didn't know the songs but I chanted like I did. There are people who have their backs turned to the game to make sure everyone is singing and jumping, I did not want to get called out so I just mimicked everything they were doing. Independiente won 1-0 off a Baez header right in front of us. The avalanche was incredible. We went to their elementary school after the game and played some footy for a few hours. Exhausted after a long day, I thanked Matias for everything and told him I will be a lifelong Independiente fan. I hopped on a bus and went back to my apartment with a renewed sense of gratitude and human kindness. Matias, a man who I met once and did not know very well at all, went out of his way to get his friend's socio card, look up directions for me on how to get from my apartment to Avellaneda, and included me in his friends footy game. Pretty incredible story and I am forever grateful to Matias and of course Club Atletico Independiente. :)

Markgeezer said:
glasgowjohn said:

So you're not wearin the jersey just yet then, is what your saying or going to many matches. One of my best match-going friends just emmigrated back from Prestwick after splitting up with his ex. and the first thing he did was last Sundays match.

I have put on the national team jersey and that's as close as you will get.:)

Your mate wont have been impressed by racing at the weekend , no ?

Errhmmm. I would never put on the national team jersey.... what for... why ???

I Love Racing!!!!!! Ever since my first week in buenos aires, when a dishonest but very talkative and friendly taxi driver who should have taken me on a 12 peso ride, gave me a 66 peso 'long route' through what seemed like all barrios of BS AS while telling me their history and his love for Racing.

He ripped me off big time but i was glad to pay it, was better value than any guided tour

SteveO87 said:
Quite the opposite. I am a fan of Independiente and I will tell you why. When I first arrived in BA(around July 2010) blah blah

But you never went back !

This is what it looks like from my end.................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDxCzTV1-fg&feature=related

No, this is not snow !! @43 you realise the full extent of la locura. When it takes half an hour to find the goal mouth and another half hour to get the paper off the goal posts, you know you didn't come to any old football match.

You are correct I never did go back because I lost touch with Matias and I just went to River games after that because it is very easy to get to and the tickets are cheap and also easy to find(unlike the Boca game I went to, had a horrible experience getting the tickets, but saw a great game, Lanus won 2-1 on a 94th minute penalty) But yes I did not go back and now I am no longer living in Buenos Aires, (wish I was, loved my year and a half there).But I thought I'd share my story with some of you because I think it is a pretty awesome story. Guess you don't feel the same! Cheers

Back