Buying a car as an expat

NoVegetables

Registered
Hello guys,

Anyone know how taxes/AFIP work when we buying a car cash?

I can't get financing, because i have no job and no financial presence in Argentina.

So I have to buy it cash. But i have been told that buying a car cash will bring some kind of scrutiny from AFIP. Not sure what that means.

As an expat that works in the exterior but living as a permanent resident in Buenos Aires, is there some kind of declaration that needs to be made before making a large purchase like a car?

I think it only applies to new cars so maybe buy a year old one.
That’s what I’m looking at doing l.
I don’t trust the Km on any used cars so prefer to buy something nearly new where they can’t have done too much damage

If the vehicle is over a certain value, you are going to have to file Bienes Personales eventually ( especially if you want to sell it ). I assume you have a DNI. I suggest you talk to an accountant and buy a car that falls below the taxable amount. You need to be really careful when buying a used car as there are many scams out there.

Another thing that is going to be tied to the car, is a city tax called Patente that is paid every two months, the newer the vehicle, the more expensive it will be. Afip will not get in the middle when you are buying, especially if it is a used car, just make sure to do your homework just so it does not look like a luxury car purchase, etc. As long as you have a DNI and pay patente, insurance, get a local drivers license, etc you will be fine. Honestly Afip does not care about used cars for the most part, just keep a low profile.

I think it only applies to new cars so maybe buy a year old one.
That’s what I’m looking at doing l.
I don’t trust the Km on any used cars so prefer to buy something nearly new where they can’t have done too much damage
Has to be a bit more than a year older, maybe 5, but it is totally doable.

Thanks for the advise guys. Yeah I’m looking to buy a used car. Not sure what the taxable limit is but I’m definitely not buying a luxury car.

I bought a used VW Gol many years ago from a big dealer VW dealer Dietrich, they did all the work for registration, verifying fines, mileage, transfer of title, and cuil registration. Just deposited cash pesos in Dietrich's local bank account. The car was under warranty for 6 months. For a newcomer with limited Spanish I don't recommend buying from private party.

Back