Any Greeks or Russians around here?

Saturnine

Registered
I'd love to cook some Transylvanian recipes, but I can't seem to find some basic ingredients in Bs As, most importantly the kind of cheese I need.
Anyone know about some Greek or Russian market anywhere?
Thanks in advance.

Greek or Russian community here are quite small I am afraid, but there are many Ukranians and Armenians.

Maybe could you try your luck in the Armenian barrio (near Palermo Hollywood... Calle Armenia in fact and around).

If you tell us more about the ingredients and cheese, maybe will that help ?

I am greek and can tell you the best place to get similar cuisine is in the two Armenian Delis on Scalabrini Ortiz and Cabrera in the Barrio of Palermo. Damascus and the other one is called simply Armenia . All cheeses, nuts, dried fruits, pulses, halva, baklava, spices and most products not found elsewhere are available here .

The prices are very high though but the quality is good.

Thank you, perry. I'll check out the two delis you mentioned and hopefully I'll find some good stuff. I'll let you know:)
Monsieur le juriste: thanks for the tips, as I said, the main problem with Eastern European cuisine lies usually in the dairy department. If you've ever traveled to the Eastern Mediterranean, let's say Turkey - for the sake of touristic focus, you'll remember the salty cheese they make. One can find very good mozzarella in Transylvania, for instance, but that's where the similarities to Western dairy end :) The cheeses they make there are fresh, usually rather hard and salty, and preserved in some sort of brine (I'm gastronomically challenged, sorry:), I've just learned to make sour cream from the cream I find in Bs As).

For my money the baklava (awesome! especially the pistachio kind), hummous, mahamara, yogur escurrido, and even pan arabe are better at the Medioeste deli on Cabrera and Malabia, but the coffee is awesome at Damascus! They're within a 5 minute walk of each other. Prices at both are roughly the same.

Saturnine said:
Thank you, perry. I'll check out the two delis you mentioned and hopefully I'll find some good stuff. I'll let you know:)
Monsieur le juriste: thanks for the tips, as I said, the main problem with Eastern European cuisine lies usually in the dairy department. If you've ever traveled to the Eastern Mediterranean, let's say Turkey - for the sake of touristic focus, you'll remember the salty cheese they make. One can find very good mozzarella in Transylvania, for instance, but that's where the similarities to Western dairy end :) The cheeses they make there are fresh, usually rather hard and salty, and preserved in some sort of brine (I'm gastronomically challenged, sorry:), I've just learned to make sour cream from the cream I find in Bs As).

Having traveled through Eastern Europe and lived there I have to say I'm confused. What mozzarella in Transylvania? They make a kind of harsh shepherd's cheese that they use in soft polenta, sometimes with butter. Other than that the cuisine is Romanian/Hungarian, lots of sauerkraut, pork etc., and dairy has only a minor supporting role; doesn't have much in common with either Greek or Russian. You're better off going to the Hungarian restaurant or the Jewish restaurant in Canitas, and asking them where they get their ingredients.

Back