Any info on Torres del Paine or Fitz Roy?

El Duderino

Registered
Flying to El Calafate in late February to spend 7-10 days in the area. Trying to decide whether to go to Torres del Paine or Fitz Roy. The former sounds more expensive, and more of a commitment, and the latter sounds just as beautiful but easier to get around and cheaper. Any difference in weather? Any other info anyone can share would be GREATLY appreciated. I've already found some good stuff here and on the lonelyplanet forum.

Thanks! :cool:

Sight seeing from a car or trekking? Hotels, hosterias or camping?

Not renting a car, probably a mix of camping and hostels. If we go Torres del Paine, we would have to get equipment to do 5 nights trekking.

I spent 2 weeks in Torres del Paine for a volunteer program back in Jan 2008 and had a wonderful time but heard from travelers that Fitz Roy was just as beautiful if not more so. If Fitz Roy is cheaper, it would be my personal choice. The W is a great trek at Torres, but honestly I can't compare. And no, I don't think there would be any real difference in weather. Enjoy! Either trip will be wonderful.

I have done the whole circuit of Torre del Paines (the W plus the back part, 160ish km I think). It was amazing. But expensive. Do you have all your own gear here because it is expensive here and not so great quality vs price?

We have been to Fitz Roy twice. It is cheaper, and just as amazing. Also you don't have to buy gear because you can do a series of day hikes, in 2-3 days you can can do them all. There are plenty of hostels and other accommodations in town.

There is a pizza place with the most amazing cordero pizza (lamb). Don't knock it until you try it.

I think we might be doing both, is that a dumb idea?

We are probably bringing our own gear from the states, so that would cut down a lot on the price, no?

I don't think its a dumb idea. It will take 1/2 day each way on the bus from Argentina-Chile and back (the border crossing is slow with a bus full of people).

If you are taking a stove/your own food on the trails, I recommend buying some here in Cap. Fed. (like ramen specifically).

Are you really into hiking? I could talk about gear for days....

vanessa said:
I don't think its a dumb idea. It will take 1/2 day each way on the bus from Argentina-Chile and back (the border crossing is slow with a bus full of people).

If you are taking a stove/your own food on the trails, I recommend buying some here in Cap. Fed. (like ramen specifically).

Are you really into hiking? I could talk about gear for days....

I've been on countless road trips out west in the states. Pretty lazy on gear and technical hikes though. Still have yet to do a multiple night backpacking trip, but I hope to change that with Patagonia.

I have an amazing 45 litre Osprey pack that can hold quite a lot. Do you think I need something bigger (60 litre) for a 4 night trip?

NO!!!

Bigger packs mean you pack more stuff and remember you are carrying it. When I left on my hike of part of the Appalachian Trail, my pack weight was 8.25 lbs with everything (and my boyfriend's was 11, we did share some gear like me tarp and him tarp stakes, etc...).

I would not take more than 2 sets of clothes. Get quick drying and wash them in sinks. I would wear the same clothes the whole hike. You cant shower anyways.

Personally me, I would take to Torre del Paines (clothes wise). One pair pants, 2 underwear, one thermal pants, 2 socks, 2 shirts, one thermal shirt, warm! coat (down is light, it snowed when we went in Feb), warm hat, pair of gloves, raincoat, rain pants and that is it. You think you want tons of clothes but for me the comfort of a lighter pack is better than the comfort of more clothes. I wear my thermal underwear as pajamas, but I do like to put the other t-shirt on in camp for camp clothes. Oh and some crocs are nice to change out of your boots (or in my case, trail runners).

Back