Any info on Torres del Paine or Fitz Roy?

If you are in the States, get a decent tent as the wind can be a real issue down there. Don't skimp on a cheap one as you may spend entire days waiting out a storm. I use an MSR Hubba Hubba that is relatively lightweight as well as sturdy. It has survived some 100 km per hour winds in Patagonia without failing me.

I used the same tent!

Although we used a tarp the second time in Fitz Roy. Everyone looks at us like we were crazy but not so much when we didnt have a bunch of condensation to shake out in the morning. I don't recommend that though; we are crazy.

Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it. A few more questions:

What's the deal with these "refugios"? Are they basically hostels you can spend the night in along the park?

For camping, can you only make reservations at the park?

El Duderino said:
Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it. A few more questions:

What's the deal with these "refugios"? Are they basically hostels you can spend the night in along the park?

For camping, can you only make reservations at the park?

Yes the refugios are basic hostels, shared dorm accommodation, no heating, just a mattress (? confirm this) no kitchen facilities (but you can get breakfast, lunch, dinner - but its expensive). They need to be booked in advance as they fill up in the high season. It costs about u$s 60 night with dinner.

there are also cabin at Los Cuernos: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...s_Los_Cuernos-Torres_del_Paine_Patagonia.html (check out the photos)

the refugio at Los Cuernos: http://images.travelpod.com/users/brizi/1.1268593189.safely-at-the-refugio.jpg

You can camp for free, no reservation is needed. There are basic toilet facilities at all camp sites. You can camp at or very near to the refuges, there are also camp site in location between the refuges - so you have more options if you camp, but you must camp at the official camp sites.

I recommend avoiding refugios! Love the concept, but i got over 300 bites all over my body from the bedbugs at Los Cuernos. The staff denied there was a problem as well. I had to leave early from Torres del Paine because of this. In addition, the refugios are also about $100US/person a night now, including 3 meals. Not exactly cheap.. If you decide to camp, don't rent the gear there (if you want to avoid scabies, bed bugs, etcccc)

We're bringing all of our equipment from the states, spent a lot of time and money researching and buying stuff! My pack should be about 30-35lbs with food and water, which is about where i want it. Already tested out most of the stuff in the states, due to the abnormally warm weather over the holidays. :cool:

I got to Torres del Payne from Puerto Natales (a sleepy microscopic town close to Punta Arenas, Magallanes, Chile). I could negotiate a better price for a vessel "Galicia" to just take me to a small glacier that cascaded into the ocean like a frozen waterfall via a small idyllic lake where I got to rent an kayak and paddled around the ice. Stunning. Then the trek is quiet long but you can cross it all and end up in El Calafate.

Take UV protection, I've been to the Tropics several times but I never got as red as a shrimp until I visited Southern Patagonia.

Back