Any recent success stories obtaining temporary residence?

ezl789

Registered
Hi everyone,

Wondering if there's anyone here who has had success over the past year or so in obtaining their initial temporary residence, preferably either as rentista or worker (for a self-created entity)? And specifically, whether you found it necessary to wire in the 18-24 months of 5x minimum wage equivalent upfront, how long the whole process took etc?

By way of background, I'm just an ordinary white-collar guy, would like to live in Argentina for most (but not all) of the year, and the option of starting naturalization 2 years down the road would be a big positive (though not the main reason for being here).

In case helpful for anyone, I spoke to a few decent lawyers, their advice was that the rentista visa is going to require about $25k to be wired in upfront (per the formula above and using the official rate), and 30% immediate loss on the FX, plus maybe 10-20% further loss on the currency depreciation over the year (difference between fixed deposit rate and expected (REM) inflation rate). Plus some documentation showing you have cashflows from investments of ~5x the min salary, and the application will take you 6 months and be a pain. Morever, rentista cannot sponsor a spousal visa, so if you want to come in as a couple, you will have to do this twice over.

As for the worker visa, the advice I got was that setting up your own entity for this is common, but you are going to have create quite a bit of substance, including nominee director and shareholder, office, secretary, obtain an immigration license for the entity etc. Harder to put numbers to it but I can imagine the office and staff alone would easily up to $12k a year. As a benefit, worker can sponsor a spousal (family union) visa, unlike rentista.

Lastly, I was advised that in terms of continuous residence for the purpose of "2 years of continuous residence" for naturalization, there is no firm definition, but at the extreme, 7 months a year presence and the rest one long trip outside of Argentina is really not going to cut it. As I was told, yeah it depends on other circumstances too, but something closer to 9-10 months presence with absence split between multiple shorter trips would likely work.

Yes, I know you can just overstay in Argentina forever as a tourist. Reason I am posting this is to try to figure out whether the advice I got is correct/ checks out with actual experience of those who decided to go through the trouble of getting temporary residence.

Really appreciate any insights on any of this 😊

You got very different intel than I did. Rentistas can have families here, but it sounds like you're considering setting up a company here for this "worker visa"? But the real answer is: you should search the forum! There's a lot of good information that people have given about their experiences with temporary residence visas.

Hi Julia,

Thanks so much for the point re family for rentistas. I had read that online too but assumed it was outdated/inapplicable in practice given what the lawyer said. So it’s really helpful to hear that others have recently obtained rentista permits and brought their families along with them.

Separately, to clarify, I was considering either a rentista or an employment (“worker” was just the term one of the lawyers used) temporary residence permit. For the employment route, I was considering creating the employer entity as well since in practice for me it’s impossible to find relevant employment in Argentina given a very narrow niche. I am considering the rentista and employment routes separately and I wrote up the advice I received in two separate paragraphs.

Sorry to come across as if I hadn’t searched — I did, and certainly found a lot of useful info. Just not recent personal experiences of these aspects of the rentista and employment permits. From your comment, I guess I didn’t search hard enough, so will will try again and be more thorough 😊.

Thanks again,
EZL

Rentista visas they are asking the ~2k usd per month per person. So if it's you and your wife that's $4k per month (plus or minus depending on the current minimum wage and exchange rate).

What is your goal? If you just want to come live here you don't need any visas, just show up as a tourist and overstay

Last edited:
Is there no limit to how much you can overstay?
I've talked to expats that have been living here for 15+ years just overstaying. When you leave you pay an administrative fee of ~$30 USD (at todays rates). The fee is fixed no matter how long you've overstayed. They'll go back to the US, do whatever they need to do and then come back as a tourist and overstay again.

Rentista visas they are asking the ~2k usd per month per person. So if it's you and your wife that's $4k per month (plus or minus depending on the current minimum wage and exchange rate).

What is your goal? If you just want to come live here you don't need any visas, just show up as a tourist and overstay
Thanks for the $2k datapoint, that's helpful. Did you apply yourself recently?

As to goal, yeah primarily I just want to live there 8-10 months a year. Secondarily would value the option of picking up an Argentina passport later on, which is why I'm asking about establishing residence legally. TBH the passport is more a benefit for my spouse who has a really weak passport that requires a visa to go just about anywhere.

I've talked to expats that have been living here for 15+ years just overstaying. When you leave you pay an administrative fee of ~$30 USD (at todays rates). The fee is fixed no matter how long you've overstayed. They'll go back to the US, do whatever they need to do and then come back as a tourist and overstay again.
This is absolutely amazing, no wonder looks like so few people bother with getting legal residence.

As to goal, yeah primarily I just want to live there 8-10 months a year. Secondarily would value the option of picking up an Argentina passport later on, which is why I'm asking about establishing residence legally. TBH the passport is more a benefit for my spouse who has a really weak passport that requires a visa to go just about anywhere.
Well the actual amount is 5x the monthly minimum wage which is going up and down, so check beforehand. But the goal was to approximate around $2k USD per month

We are in the process of getting a pension Nista visa. only one person has to put the money in right now. It’s about $1300 a month but it changes all the time. it is a changing process without it. You can’t have a DNI which means you’re not very legitimate can’t have a bank account, etc. etc. we find it really useful. We’ve been living partially in Argentina since 2007 and 2 years ago. We decided to embark upon this because we never wanted to get closed out again like during Covid. Yes you can overstay and someday when you come back, they could tell you no

Back