Any Recommendations In Jujuy?

pitipur

Registered
Hey everyone, after a month here, I'm finally getting out of the city for a 5 or 6 days and heading to the Jujuy province with some couchsurfers I haven't even met yet (all part of my "break out of the comfort zone" goal for my time in Argentina haha). Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on places to go or things to do? It seems to be quite scenic and I'm totally OK with that! I think we are taking an overnight bus as well, so if anyone has any experience with that, please let me know.
Thanks!

No idea about Jujuy, but if you're booking bus tickets try and get cama or at least semi cama. It's a personal choice but I alway felt safer on the lower deck rather than the upper deck...moves about a little less downstairs too. Top deck, at the back with non reclining seats is my idea of long distance bus hell! Might just be me.

Hey everyone, after a month here, I'm finally getting out of the city for a 5 or 6 days and heading to the Jujuy province with some couchsurfers I haven't even met yet (all part of my "break out of the comfort zone" goal for my time in Argentina haha). Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on places to go or things to do? It seems to be quite scenic and I'm totally OK with that! I think we are taking an overnight bus as well, so if anyone has any experience with that, please let me know.
Thanks!

I think Purmamarca and Maimará are the best places to stay, but don't miss the bus trip to Iruya from Humahuaca and, if possible, the church at Yavi. I have some blog entries that touch on the area, with photographs, at http://tinyurl.com/kcjgxj2

Don't bother with San Salvador de Jujuy, which is a nondescript city.

I went here which is worth a day trip. Hot springs around a beautiful valley.

(Link is to the hotel, there are free/cheap springs below the hotel)

thanks for the tips! yeah, definitely hoping for a cama seat or i might go crazy. First extended bus trip since high school in europe, and that one did NOT have reclining seats, and it was miserable haha.

When you book your seat, try for one that is not on the farthest left side-- when you pass other buses at high speeds you may get woken up/terrified by the noise and movement. Also avoid being near the bathroom.

I didn't care for Jujuy too much, but Salta is cute (I recommend the MAAM) and all the northern towns are great (Humahuaca, Purmamarca, Iruya). I will never forget my time in Iruya-- incredible winding road and a very peaceful town. Great walks there.

Have a great trip!!

I only passed through Jujuy when I was up in Salta but it seemed like an OK little city/town. I think the best tourist stuff is actually outside of the cities of the region. Purmamarca, Humuhauca and Tilcara are great tiny little towns to the north that can be visited on a guided day trip. Cachi and the Los Cardones National Park are also excellent - I did a guided day trip from Salta city to see these places. I caught the 21 hour bus to Salta from Buenos Aires, but as I had a cama-suite seat it was completely fine. But do take some snacks as bus food is never that tasty!

Above, I typed Maimará when I mean to say Tilcara. Maimará does have an interesting winery now, though, in http://www.bodegafernandodupont.com/main.php

No idea about Jujuy, but if you're booking bus tickets try and get cama or at least semi cama. It's a personal choice but I alway felt safer on the lower deck rather than the upper deck...moves about a little less downstairs too. Top deck, at the back with non reclining seats is my idea of long distance bus hell! Might just be me.
Choose the single cama seats to the right. Remember your leg exercises in place.... and standing up every 2 hours..!! Even for the young ...! Bring your own snacks , crackers , fruits and water,,,!! Food trays picked up on the road from a dinky gas station can be a challenge. Make sure you know where the hammer is and how to use it...!
Have a safe trip...!

Back