Anybody else notice coffee recently not tasting good?

I was in there two years ago, and they were selling tiny little 125g bags of coffee for outrageously high prices, with all the fancy exotic descriptions that are customarily used to justify such extortionate pricing. My general rule of thumb is that I refuse to buy anything that says "gourmet" on the label.

Yes, I know. I'm a surly old curmudgeon. Sue me ;)

I must be losing my mind (at least what's left of it) as I have 4 DIFFERENT brands of coffee. I started with La Virginia (which is just short of garbage, as I found out). Next I upgraded (so I thought) to Cabrales La Planta de Cafe. The bright gold packaging lured me in. It's drinkable. Barely. Then I upgraded again, to Cabrales Super Tostado Molido. It's passable. Then I plunged into Nescafé Gold Tostado Y Molido. Again it's passable. Just so. I thought perhaps my coffee brewer might be going on the fritz, so I pulled my coffee press out of storage. It's better. I won't spring for Starbucks. The best coffee I enjoyed in the US was at 7-11, along with a fresh Boston Crème donut. I'm just sharing this whine to pacify my friends.

I must be losing my mind (at least what's left of it) as I have 4 DIFFERENT brands of coffee. I started with La Virginia (which is just short of garbage, as I found out). Next I upgraded (so I thought) to Cabrales La Planta de Cafe. The bright gold packaging lured me in. It's drinkable. Barely. Then I upgraded again, to Cabrales Super Tostado Molido. It's passable. Then I plunged into Nescafé Gold Tostado Y Molido. Again it's passable. Just so. I thought perhaps my coffee brewer might be going on the fritz, so I pulled my coffee press out of storage. It's better. I won't spring for Starbucks. The best coffee I enjoyed in the US was at 7-11, along with a fresh Boston Crème donut. I'm just sharing this whine to pacify my friends.
I have actually started buying coffee at Starbucks. The price is extortionate at ~2500 pesos for 250g, but I can't find anything better available here in Retiro, at least not within comfortable walking distance of my apartment.

The Cabrales Colombia suggested by Hotdog sounds like an option I'd like to try, but it's not stocked at Carrefour Express, and the nearest full-size Carrefour is a long walk in this heat.

Prices of everything are through the roof. I paid 1700 pesos for a double cheeseburger and fries at Perez H last night. It was a good burger and very good fries, but not that good.

I have actually started buying coffee at Starbucks. The price is extortionate at ~2500 pesos for 250g, but I can't find anything better available here in Retiro, at least not within comfortable walking distance of my apartment.

The Cabrales Colombia suggested by Hotdog sounds like an option I'd like to try, but it's not stocked at Carrefour Express, and the nearest full-size Carrefour is a long walk in this heat.

Prices of everything are through the roof. I paid 1700 pesos for a double cheeseburger and fries at Perez H last night. It was a good burger and very good fries, but not that good.
Because Starbucks buys so many beans they are forced to settle for lower quality (less flavorful beans). To compensate they burn the beans mildly and add layers of flavors and marketing razzle dazzle and offer restaurants that encourage customers to hang out. Our senses of taste and smell adapt quickly so most of us no longer recognize how bad their product is.

Buy beans at a specialty roaster. Anything you buy at the grocery is going to be garbage.

Buy beans at a specialty roaster. Anything you buy at the grocery is going to be garbage.
Give us an url

Because Starbucks buys so many beans they are forced to settle for lower quality (less flavorful beans). To compensate they burn the beans mildly and add layers of flavors and marketing razzle dazzle and offer restaurants that encourage customers to hang out. Our senses of taste and smell adapt quickly so most of us no longer recognize how bad their product is.
You want to talk weird flavors, did you know catshit coffee (kopi luwak) is a thing?

Back