Anybody else notice coffee recently not tasting good?

Gringo80

Registered
Until recently we had several options for good coffee at home. Even the instant coffees were good. Our French Press was even better. If we wanted an excellent coffee we went to a coffee roaster and our beans freshly ground.
But in the last couple of weeks all the coffees seem to be bitter and without coffee flavor. Even opening a fresh bag of ground coffee doesn't give the wonderful blast of coffee aroma anymore.
Anybody esle encounterring this?

"café torrada" is new to me. I Googled it, got examples but no definition. What is it?

Does it say café torrada on the side? If so throw it in the trash.
Seems like a good idea. https://www.ghirardellicafe.com.ar/cafe-torrado/ Looks like it's not allowed in a lot of places.

According to this: https://batimes.com.ar/news/economy...ee-supplies-in-famed-cafes-of-argentina.phtml there is a coming coffee shortage in Argentina. If you buy ground coffee, you might not notice any difference in quality until you've bought it and it's too late. I brought a few months' supply back with me from Europe last month, and I need to invest in a coffee grinder for future use.

"café torrada" is new to me. I Googled it, got examples but no definition. What is it?
Cheap beans that can't be sold are roasted with sugar until they're burnt. This also helps increase the weight thst is lost during the roasting process. Then they're ground and sold as coffee. The bag of coffee youre buying could contain a bunch of sugar.

Basically illegal in most of the world yet somehow legal in argentina.

I searched mercadolibre.com for 'café torrada' but got no results. Can you suggest how to find coffees with it?
Go to any grocery store and pick up a bag of coffee most likely it will be torrada.
I buy all my coffee from a BA importer/roaster that gets it from Central America. I'm waiting for the day when they start having issues with imports.

I searched mercadolibre.com for 'café torrada' but got no results. Can you suggest how to find coffees with it?
Look on the packet. If it lists sugar as an ingredient and not 100% coffee, you will have your answer.
I remember being shocked by the amount of coffee with added sugar on sale here.

Back