Anybody see the Eat,Pray,Love movie?

Moonwitch

Registered
I know a few people have read the book... I saw the movie the other and what a pile of trash.

Thanks for the review, didn't have much ganas to see the movie anyway as I read the book and it was a pile of trash too. So, cheers for this, won't bother with that either.

There was a big backlash against this film before we left in the States over all the marketing of "things" from the movie. It was called "Eat, Pray, Shop". Everybody had some sort of stupid marketing "tie-in": (get the Bed Bath and Beyond, Eat Pray Love incense, or scented soaps...etc.)

I saw an interview with the author trying to "straight faced" defend this saying "Well not everyone can go to India, so we bring the Yoga mat to them..."

Of all the bullshit. I have not read the book, but have heard the story. And isn't the whole thing the, the whole point of the book about the Journey?!! Not the beads from India or pizza in Italy. So sure maybe not everyone can afford India, but if for them journeying to Seattle, (or for people here...Mendoza) is the journey that's the point, right!

I know I didn't read it, so maybe I'm wrong...but it just annoyed me..more Oprah book club crap.

****huff,hufff,hufff*** end Rant here****

I did not watch the movie but I did read the book... (in fact, I bought it from a forum member who left BA) and I loved it! Especially the India part of it...

A friend gifted me with the book, and I read it while traveling. Not my usual fare, it was definitely fluffy but I thought the book was cute and I enjoyed it as a light read. And as a true story, well, it's a story of a sort of self discovery, and I liked the author's voice. I think a lot of women probably identify with the idea of her journey. I haven't seen, nor am interested (especially after hearing some reviews) in seeing the movie. It seems that the makers missed the mark entirely. That's Hollywood for ya.

(a bit off topic, but for what it's worth I've yet to see a movie that has been made from a book that is better than the book itself. The only exception that comes to mind is sort excluded from 'literature turned movie'--not that EPL is literature--because it's a juvenile book, but the third Harry Potter directed by Guillermo del Toro was [I think] better than the book, but that's just because the director had such a stunning visual style).

The book was ok I thought - very fluffy and the author comes across as a total ego-manic - but it was enjoyable. one of those easy beach reads.

However, do NOT make the mistake of reading the second book, called 'Committed'. It's so, so awful. Basically, the same 'me, me, me' stuff from the first book without any of the pretty imagery . ugh

I saw the movie, I didn't think it was so horrible, but I wasn't really expecting much. I mean, it's a fluffy movie made from a fluffy book (which I sort of tried to read but never did). Julia Roberts looks good and Javier Bardem is somewhat attractive (maybe it was his character, but I didn't find myself loving him), and it was about a woman traveling to new places. It is what it is, was anyone really expecting greatness?

Overall, I thought it was enjoyable enough. I didn't walk out of the theater things, "uhg what a waste of time," and I wouldn't call it a pile of trash. It is pretty to see all the places and to see an older woman (i.e. not a teenage backpacker) travel around and visit new places. Seeing her learn about life and herself as she traveled around was nice, and it didn't come off as self-centered as I have heard the book is. The more I think about it the more I think I enjoyed the movie, but again we aren't talking about an amazing piece of film work here, so we have to keep it in perspective. It's a fluffy fun piece, and as that it works well enough--definitely not a pile of trash, at least.

Back