Anyone been to a football/soccer game at Velez?

Nick0518

Registered
I'm a big futbol (soccer for me) fan, but I still haven't been to a game yet after living here for four months. I feel like I'm missing a big part of the culture by not seeing a game in person. One of my students told me that Velez is a decent option because the stadium/neighborhood is relatively safe and the tickets are cheap.

Does anyone have any experience in Liniers, or the area around the stadium specifically? I'd be able to get there and back fairly easily (on one bus), but wouldn't want to go if it's really dangerous.

If anyone has any other recommendations about where to watch games (besides the obvious two!) I'd love to hear them!

I remember when the World Soccer Cup was played back in 1978, Velez was chosen as one of the main stadiums because of the size of the stadium and its good connections with avenues and highways. Also many bus lines go there.

Velez Sarsfield are a pretty good team and the stadium is in a decent area.

I would think there are no problems as long as the game is not against Boca

what a game tonight,Velez were 3-1 up and lost 4-3,with some fabulous goals by their opponents

Howard, such a roller coaster game. Hopefully Velez continues playing these amazing games---then I won't have a hard decision! It took me a little while to warm up to Argentine/South American soccer because I wasn't familiar with many of the players at first, but I love how unpredictable and exciting the games are.

Roxana and John, thanks very much for the positive information. The stadium looks really nice and easy to get to, even if it's a little far away.

Does anyone have any experience going to games here? I think there's plenty of information out there about Boca/River, so maybe a different team?

I remember some threads from last year at baexpats. The search engine will help you out on it.

The main issue are the barrabravas, kind of our version of holligans (sorry if I misspelled it). The fans of futbol know which games are quiet. Another factor is where are you going to sit, if with the fans of the local or the visitor player.

It seems that there's more than 100 pesos difference between the platea and popular tickets!! I searched previous posts, but I can't really get a clear idea. Is the popular section okay if as long as you don't act like a clueless tourist? I should mention that I'm a pretty short woman (just over 5 feet)...do I have any business in the popular section? I'm looking at the Sunday afternoon game against San Lorenzo.

As long as you dont bring anything valuable you´´ll be fine in the popular. Just make sure you stay on the sides of the popular. Things are more quiet there than in the middle.

Back