Someone lived in BS AS 10 years never been to Rio compare them?

Miguel741

Registered
Compare the safety?

I like to walk a lot least 10k steps a day from what I understand there's a less "safe areas" in Rio, you are goanna be confident to a smaller "tourist area" right?

Some place like Barra da Tijuca, a middle-class suburb with a few company HQs just south of Rio, would be a good choice. I was there a few years ago, it seemed quite nice.

A major problem with Rio is that the favelas and middle/upper-class areas are side by side. That's not the case in Sao Paulo, for example.

You might also do your 10k steps in a shopping centre, like a friend of mine does. Shopping centres are important for socializing in Brazil. Just don't bring your wife ;)

Some place like Barra da Tijuca, a middle-class suburb with a few company HQs just south of Rio, would be a good choice. I was there a few years ago, it seemed quite nice.

A major problem with Rio is that the favelas and middle/upper-class areas are side by side. That's not the case in Sao Paulo, for example.

You might also do your 10k steps in a shopping centre, like a friend of mine does. Shopping centres are important for socializing in Brazil. Just don't bring your wife ;)

I get depressed when my 10k steps are in an enclosed space like frlorida street

Compare the safety?

I like to walk a lot least 10k steps a day from what I understand there's a less "safe areas" in Rio, you are goanna be confident to a smaller "tourist area" right?
I lived in Leblon and walked the beach there and Ipanema every day (mornings) and sometimes Copacabana. Never had a problem. Other days I would walk round Lagoa (Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon) which is approx. 7.5 km. Leblon is the best area to live in Rio.

I lived in Leblon and walked the beach there and Ipanema every day (mornings) and sometimes Copacabana. Never had a problem. Other days I would walk round Lagoa (Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon) which is approx. 7.5 km. Leblon is the best area to live in Rio.
Nice thanks was that all along the beach?

Compare the safety?

I lived in Lagoa and Ipanema for a few years and would walk each day all over zona sul which is a big area. Personally, I never suffered an incident and felt "safe enough" and that I enjoyed a high quality of life there, but I did see more than my fair share of incidents including:
  • a shoot-out with automatic weapons between police and kidnappers who hijacked a taxi in front of shopping Leblon as they sped away down the main street of Ipanema... some bystanders were shot and wounded
  • being stuck in gridlock traffic in a tunnel to see hundreds of people come running, screaming in terror through the tunnel as criminals had entered the tunnel and were robbing motorists at gunpoint
  • seeing a similar seen on the beach in Ipanema, as criminals were robbing beachgoers at gunpoint
    • this kind of mass robbery tactic is common enough it actually has its own word and definitely one to learn if you plan on living in Brazil: arrastão.
  • a dead body lying in the middle of the running path in front of the lagoon, most people including families with children casually walking around it
  • a bank robbery in Ipanema where they literally blew up the bank with a bomb to gain access one night - it literally shook me awake
  • Many people I know who live in areas like Barra and Recreio have directly suffered violent crimes including home invasions and kidnappings over the years - these are less likely to occur in the more densely populated south zone where the biggest issue is usually opportunistic street crime. Pretty much everyone I know there has their "stories" to tell regarding crime in that city.
The worst thing in retrospect is that it becomes normal after a very short time and very easy to shrug off what is happening to others around you.

Frankly speaking there is zero comparison between the two cities in terms of safety. Rio is one of the most violent big cities in the world, there is no sugarcoating it. It is a city where each year over 200 people are hit by stray bullets (not even targets of crime) over 1000 people a year are killed by the police and more than 2000 people fall victim to murder.

If none of this sounds like what you know from Buenos Aires, you have your comparison.
If you want to look at numbers, then that one city approximately accounts for more murders than all of Argentina each year.

I lived in Lagoa and Ipanema for a few years and would walk each day all over zona sul which is a big area. Personally, I never suffered an incident and felt "safe enough" and that I enjoyed a high quality of life there, but I did see more than my fair share of incidents including:
  • a shoot-out with automatic weapons between police and kidnappers who hijacked a taxi in front of shopping Leblon as they sped away down the main street of Ipanema... some bystanders were shot and wounded
  • being stuck in gridlock traffic in a tunnel to see hundreds of people come running, screaming in terror through the tunnel as criminals had entered the tunnel and were robbing motorists at gunpoint
  • seeing a similar seen on the beach in Ipanema, as criminals were robbing beachgoers at gunpoint
    • this kind of mass robbery tactic is common enough it actually has its own word and definitely one to learn if you plan on living in Brazil: arrastão.
  • a dead body lying in the middle of the running path in front of the lagoon, most people including families with children casually walking around it
  • a bank robbery in Ipanema where they literally blew up the bank with a bomb to gain access one night - it literally shook me awake
  • Many people I know who live in areas like Barra and Recreio have directly suffered violent crimes including home invasions and kidnappings over the years - these are less likely to occur in the more densely populated south zone where the biggest issue is usually opportunistic street crime. Pretty much everyone I know there has their "stories" to tell regarding crime in that city.
The worst thing in retrospect is that it becomes normal after a very short time and very easy to shrug off what is happening to others around you.

Frankly speaking there is zero comparison between the two cities in terms of safety. Rio is one of the most violent big cities in the world, there is no sugarcoating it. It is a city where each year over 200 people are hit by stray bullets (not even targets of crime) over 1000 people a year are killed by the police and more than 2000 people fall victim to murder.

If none of this sounds like what you know from Buenos Aires, you have your comparison.
If you want to look at numbers, then that one city approximately accounts for more murders than all of Argentina each year.

Thanks that's a lot of great information

Back