Anyone being affected by the volcanic ash and flight cancelations?

austin said:
A friend just told me that she had read that the volcanic ash is expected to keep Ezeiza closed for another 10 days. Has anyone read this?

This is not correct as far as I know, however what HAS been said is they are expecting the volcanic activity to continue for at least 10 days more. Airport closures will depend on wind / weather conditions.

For those travelling, just keep praying for rain, clears the atmosphere and will allow more flights to get in and out.

Our original flight CO 53 from Houston was canceled on June 9, rescheduled on June 13 and again canceled, and now we are set to fly this Friday June 17th, volcanic ash permitting. It looks like EZE is getting back to normal today, but we don't know for how long it will stay open. I have to return to the USA on Friday the 24th, and my time in BA has been reduced to six days. If I can't get back to work on Sunday the 26th I may lose my job.

What is the reason why these planes can not fly? Is it because the pilots have low visibility or does it have something to do with ash particulates damaging the engines and/or equipment?

I believe it's that turbine engines and fine volcanic ash do not make great friends -- can lead to engine stalls. Same for cars -- people in the affected areas haven't been using their cars much as the ash gets into the radiator and other parts and breaks down.

I was utterly shocked when our flight to Miami left en horario last night, and touched down only half an hour later than scheduled. Ezeiza was hell; standing in line to check in took almost 2 hours, plus another 40 minutes to clear security. But - we got out of there and I'm still in one piece!

RobinsonGO said:
What is the reason why these planes can not fly? Is it because the pilots have low visibility or does it have something to do with ash particulates damaging the engines and/or equipment?

There are a number of potential issues regarding engine contamination with volcanic ash. One occurs where ash builds up on some of the internal parts of the jet engine, specifically the compressor and changes the aerodynamics of that compressor. It is possible, with enough contamination, for the engine to enter a condition called stall and eventually surge where the engine loses power and can also be damaged..
Another problem, is where the turbine cooling holes become blocked. This will cause the turbine blades to increase in temperature and fail, potentially destroying the engine. A further problem area is the combustion systems of the engines which can become clogged and again the engine looses power.

In NZ, because the dust cloud base has been at or above 20,000 ft, Air NZ continued to fly for the past week below 20,000 ft, where jetstar and qantas did not.. In australia, again qantas and jetstart cancelled flights, where Virgin did not.. Same with flights between NZ and AUS, Air NZ flew and Qantas and jetstar didnt.. The main disadvantage for air NZ is it requires more fuel to fly at lower altitudes - so is a greater cost to the airline, it also had to track north into the pacific to be able to get up to curising height, which adds time onto flights and more fuel is used.. So it can also depend on the airline if flights go ahead or not, and cost can be as greater factor as safety in deciding that.

Last night however, the dust cloud came down to 10,000 ft in the southern part of NZ, which then makes it unsafe to fly for large aircraft.. because there is no room for error, not alot of height for recovery if something happens.. Air NZ has now cancelled all large jet flights in the southern part of the south island due to the cloud base dropping..

Finally made it, third time was a charm, and after eight days of delays my Continental flight took off on schedule, and we escaped the heat of Houston. Now if we can only get back.

Just a heads up for anyone flying tonight, The ash has returned and the airport is closed at the moment, supposedly there is going to be an update at 5:00 pm. My flight tonight UA846 has been delayed to 11:00am tomorrow morning.

Back