Anyone come back from the US in the past week or two?

BaltRochGirl

Registered
Have the requirements changed? United is telling me Argentina wants proof of onward travel, am assuming it's just a generic thing but didn't happen last time I flew out.

Also Argentine Embassy site for US says you need to apply for Visa ahead and provide all the standard crap to get one.

Anyone actually have to deal with this??

BaltRochGirl said:
Also Argentine Embassy site for US says you need to apply for Visa ahead and provide all the standard crap to get one.

The site: http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/home/news.htm says this on the home page.

"When entering Argentine Territory, the American nationals must pay a "reciprocity fee" of U$D 131.- or its equivalent in Argentinean pesos.

The payment of this reciprocity fee is NOT a visa, since Argentina does not require visa to American nationals when travelling for tourism or business purposes. The Argentine Government set this entry free on equal amounts Argentine citizenz must pay when requesting a Visa to travel to the U.S."

I think the "standard crap" you refer to applies to visas for temporary residency.

I don't know about the current requirement for "proof" of onward travel.

A "reservation" for a bus ticket to Uruguay should be enough to get on a United flight (one way) if they are asking. It should also work when entering Argentina.

I'm sure the U.S. Embassy in Argentina would have issued a notice if policies regarding U.S. tourists had changed. According to Migraciones, U.S.tourists still do not need a visa.

Regarding proof of on-ward travel, I think this would be fairly easy to argue. Just say you're traveling around South America and that you're exiting via bus.

I figure it's nothing but just thought I would check to see if anyone else encountered the issue.
I came in last time with a one way ticket on United so I figured I'd just play dumb if it was an issue.

I'm a Brit so this doesn't really apply to me but the received wisdom on this board is as follows: if you are a tourist from the USA, Europe etc, you don't need a visa; if you are a tourist from certain destinations including the USA you will need to pay a reciprocity fee on landing unless you already have an up to date payment stamped in your passport. The two-way ticket thing is not an Argentine thing but a requirement of some airlines, to cover their asses in case they have to pick up the cost of repatriating you. Not all airlines insist on this so if it is a sticking point with one airline, fly with another.

If you are already a legal resident you will already have a temporary or permanent resident visa and wouldn't be asking these questions. If you think you are going to need a temporary or permanent resident visa that is normally, but not always, applied for in your home country. If you think that this might apply to you, use the search function on this site and you will find more about getting different types of visa than you ever thought possible.

I couldn't find any reference for onward travel proof, but it happened to me once the last year with Iberia in Madrid. I'm an EU citizen, but I was coming from Ethiopia in poor aesthetic conditions (long beard, shabby clothes, tired as hell, etc.). The solution was to buy a fully returnable flight to São Paulo with LAN.

the other 3 times I came, I was nicely dressed and they didn't ask for anything :)

BaltRochGirl said:
Have the requirements changed? United is telling me Argentina wants proof of onward travel, am assuming it's just a generic thing but didn't happen last time I flew out.

Argentina does not require proof of onward travel for US citizens traveling as tourists. Here is the output from TIMATIC:

Code:
29DEC10 / 0501 UTC
National U.S.A. (US)            /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination Argentina (AR)      

[Visa Information - Destination] Argentina (AR)

[Information For Normal Passports]
Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
  on arrival. 

Visa required, except for Holders of normal passports for a
max. stay of 3 months (SEE NOTE 36877) (SEE NOTE 37584) and
being a national of U.S.A. 
    NOTE 36877: Extension of a further 90 days possible when
   travelling for touristic purposes.
    NOTE 37584: Extension of stay beyond 90 days also
   available to students. Immigration status must be adjusted
   by Immigration Authorities within 30 days of enrollment in
   school.
Minors:
- Minors, regardless of nationality, under 14 years old
  [[TIDFT/AR/PA/MI/ID292]] 
- When leaving Argentina, Argentine and foreign minors
  residing in Argentina, under 18 years old
  [[TIDFT/AR/PA/MI/ID294]] 
- Children born outside Argentina from Argentine parents,
  [[TIDFT/AR/VI/MI/ID22667]]
Additional Information:
- Passengers are recommended to hold return or onward tickets,
  sufficient funds to[[TIDFT/AR/VI/AI/ID332]] 
- A reciprocity charge (payable in cash (USD or Argentine
  Pesos) or by credit card or traveller's cheques), is levied
  when visiting Argentina and entering via Ezeiza airport for
  touristic or business purposes to holders of normal pasports
  being nationals of: 
 - USA: USD 140.-, valid for 10 years multiple entries. Exempt
   if also holding Argentine nationality (dual nationality) or
   if being crew member travelling on duty. 
Warning:
-  Non-compliance with entry/transit requirements will result
  in fines up to 3 times the published fares between origin
  and destination, but will never be less than USD 1,000.-.
  Passengers will be deported.

I've heard that it is now US$140.

When I paid at the start of march, it was US$131, but I think that all of the recent arrivals have been saying that it's US$140 and that their travel agents didn't mention it to them.

I came back a week ago through areoparque Jorge Newbury and it is US$140 for USA passport holders now, US$100 for AU and US$70 for CDN.. The interesting thing is that beside the AU and CDN reciprocal fee price it says single entry fee now.. so they pay each time they enter..

It's $140 now because the U.S. State Department raised its fees for visas and passports in June of 2010.

Back