Anyone come back from the US in the past week or two?

Airlines get fined if they do not check return our outward bound flight information. We purchased a cheap ticket online to Uruguay, but were not asked on arrival, but were definitely checked flying out of JFK by United!

About the proof of onward travel and such. I faced a similar issue in September as Continental would not let me book a one way nor book a flight beyond 90days.

I posted to this board and got several responses (maybe do a search) the recap of is this:
Yes, it is apparently true that Argentina does not require onward travel proof, but the airlines can set their own rules as they are the ones responsible to fly you back in the event you are denied entry. (I guess if immigrations asks you your plans and you have no return ticket they may think you are going to be an illegal alien....). So the airlines can deny your purchase.

Along with buying a fully refundable LAN ticket, someone suggested a buquebus ticket that is refundable or good for a year since you may likely use it at some point during the year (whether for Visa runs or just to go to the beach).

All this being said, like everything at these big call center type companies, it all seems to depend on who you get on the phone, if they know their job, what kind of mood they are in, and how charming you can be on the phone. If it was truly policy this message board would die as everyone would have the same story.

I have to buy tickets soon too, so I will let you know my experience.

do I have to pay the fee? even though I was born in Argentina left when I was 2yrs old... Im a u.s citizen now.

BROOKLYN said:
do I have to pay the fee? even though I was born in Argentina left when I was 2yrs old... Im a u.s citizen now.

Since you're new, it's difficult to know if you're joking or serious, but it might be wise to pay the fee and not say anything.:)

If you tell them you are Argentine by birth I think they might only give you a 60 day visa (instead of 90) and if you overstay you could get "stuck" here. I am not absolutely certain this would apply to you. Perhaps others can add to this subject.

In any case, if you enter Argentina with only a US passport you'll have to pay the fee.

BROOKLYN said:

No.

Law 346, Title 1:

Artículo 1º- Son argentinos:
1. Todos los individuos nacidos, o que nazcan en el territorio de la República, sea cual fuere
la nacionalidad de sus padres, con excepción de los hijos de ministros extranjeros y
miembros de la legación residentes en la República.

Make sure you bring your partida de nacimiento to prove this to immigration authorities.

steveinbsas said:
Since you're new, it's difficult to know if you're joking or serious, but it might be wise to pay the fee and not say anything.

If you tell them you are Argentine by birth I think they could give you a 60 day visa (instead of 90) and if you overstay you could get stuck here.

In any case, if you enter Argentina with a US passport you have to pay the fee.

Steve, wouldn't this person have a DNI at the age of 2? Can you ever have your DNI erased? And wouldn't such information be pulled up in the system when last name(s) and birth dates are checked?

I will bring my birth ceftificate, I cant find my d.n.i!... can I get a temporary d.n.i?? where could I go to get a that?? thanks all for your kind help

bradlyhale said:
Steve, wouldn't this person have a DNI at the age of 2? Can you ever have your DNI erased? And wouldn't such information be pulled up in the system when last name(s) and birth dates are checked?

I don't know but it's very interesting. I have the same name and date of birth as at least one other American and he is a convicted felon. It only ever came once, up at a traffic stop (when my counterpoint was also a fugitive at the time). It took almost an hour for the patrolmen to figure out I wasn't the one they were seeking. (I had my birth certificate with me as I was on my way to Mexico and my place of birth was different from the bad guy's.)

If BROOKLYN does not say anything or provide a birth certificate he will certainly have to pay the fee. But if he establishes the fact that he is Argentine by birth, I think the 60 day visa "rule" might apply. If the planned visit is longer than two months it's something to be sure about prior to arrival.

BROOKLYN said:
I will bring my birth ceftificate, I cant find my d.n.i!... can I get a temporary d.n.i?? where could I go to get a that?? thanks all for your kind help

You can apply for a replacement DNI at the Registro after you arrive. I don't think there's such a thing as a temporary DNI.

I wonder if they would make you provide a criminal report from the FBI as you haven't been living here...or if that only applies to foreigners.

How long are you going to be here?

Here's something else to consider:

Will the Argentine tax man be interested in your "foreign income" in the future as a result of you reasserting you Argentine citizenship?

In other words, if you are an Argentine citizen and if your worldwide assets and income are taxable in Argentina, the $140 fee might not be such high price to pay to stay out of the system.

Back