Anyone come back from the US in the past week or two?

At what point in the process do they tell you to give proof of onward travel? I just booked a round trip EZE-JFK, JFK-EZE ticket on the United website and there was no issue... do you think they will ask me when I go to check in on my way back?

Last time I left the country and came back I was asked when checking in on American Airlines how long I would stay in Argentina and I just told them I was traveling around and they were fine with that.

steveinbsas said:
Since you're new, it's difficult to know if you're joking or serious, but it might be wise to pay the fee and not say anything.:)

If you tell them you are Argentine by birth I think they might only give you a 60 day visa (instead of 90) and if you overstay you could get "stuck" here. I am not absolutely certain this would apply to you. Perhaps others can add to this subject.

In any case, if you enter Argentina with only a US passport you'll have to pay the fee.
If you are Argentine by birth, it will say so in your US passport and you will not be required to to pay. [just happened to friends of mine] Take a close look at your passport. Please.

ghost said:
If you are Argentine by birth, it will say so in your US passport and you will not be required to to pay. [just happened to friends of mine] Take a close look at your passport. Please.

Now I remember that this is what cause another "expat" to only be given a 60 day visa! Of course this information (place of birth) is in the passport.

I believe that individual overstayed the 60 days and had some "extra" difficulties. This was a couple years ago. Does anyone know what the current policy is?

thank you all! now the real question is do I still have to pay that stupid tourist tax fee to fly around argentina?? I want to fly to mendoza

You should really be trying to figure out what proof you will need (if possible) to qualify for the Argentine fare for your domestic flights. That may make the tax issue less if you can save on all your internal flights.

Last June I flew into Ezeiza with a US passport showing I was born in Buenos Aires - was classified as Argentinian, paid no fee, and got a 180-day visa.

BROOKLYN said:
thank you all! now the real question is do I still have to pay that stupid tourist tax fee to fly around argentina?? I want to fly to mendoza

The tourist fee has nothing to do with domestic air travel (except for the fact that those who are required to pay the entry fee are not eligible for the lower domestic air fares). The lower domestic airfares are available to residents of Argentina. This includes citizens and foreigners with temporary or permanent residency, all of whom should have a DNI.

Since you were born here and "have" a DNI you should qualify. If you can't find your DNI before your arrival, I suggest you go to the registro as soon after arrival as possible. They will probably give you a receipt for the fee you will pay for the replacement DNI. You should be able to use that until you actually receive the new DNI (people who have lost their DNI can apply for driver's licenses with one).

SaraSara just posted she entered with her US passport and received a 180 day visa. That "answers" one question, but the result might vary (depending on the agent). Whether or not the airlines accept an Argentine birthplace in a foreign passport as a qualifier for the lower fare is yet another question entirely.

steveinbsas said:
I believe that individual overstayed the 60 days and had some "extra" difficulties. This was a couple years ago. Does anyone know what the current policy is?

If you're an Argentinian citizen and enter on another country's passport, they stamp your passport with the usual entry stamp and hand-write "ARGENTINO - XX DIAS" underneath. The usual is 60 days, but it seems somewhat random and sometimes up to 180 days.

You can stay as long as you like, but if you stay longer than the time allowed at entry, you must exit on an Argentinian passport, with all the drama getting one issued will entail, you won't be allowed to leave on your foreign passport.

You also don't have to pay the reciprocity fee if your passport is issued by a country that would otherwise be charged it.

ndcj said:
You can stay as long as you like, but if you stay longer than the time allowed at entry, you must exit on an Argentinian passport, with all the drama getting one issued will entail, you won't be allowed to leave on your foreign passport.

I hope BROOKLYN reads this! And I still wonder if getting the Argentine passport would require a police report from the country that issued the passport used for entry.

Back