Anyone come back from the US in the past week or two?

I've had a United Airlines ticket agent say, "You need a return ticket"

Solution? I charged a full fare (refundable) ticket three months out, then promptly cancelled it on arrival in BA.

gouchobob said:
Don't think very many people buy one way tickets so I doubt its a big problem. It would be interesting to hear from the people that did have problems. Just out of curiosity why did you buy a one way ticket? Are you a student? If you are your situation is different and assume you are traveling with a student visa. Sometimes students have the ability to buy one way tickets as their studies may take them beyond the usual stay for a tourist. This is about the only case I know of that a one way ticket might make sense.

I bought a one way ticket last year to come down, didn't have any issues with that, this time I bought a round trip ticket to the states and back, this is the one I had to deal with.

Just tried to check-in at United.com to complete a round-trip originating in BA and was asked for proof of onward travel and it says I have to "check-in" at the airport. So we will see how it goes.

A&A said:
Just tried to check-in at United.com to complete a round-trip originating in BA and was asked for proof of onward travel and it says I have to "check-in" at the airport. So we will see how it goes.

I will be flying tomorrow with Continental. I will also let everyone know how it goes. I don't intend on buying a one way back to the US for the moment. I plan on citing the page that someone listed from the IATA's Timatic if I run into any problems. It clearly says "recommend" and nothing about being a requirement.

From experience I've never had anyone at EZE question me about my immigration status.

Just an FYI: I traveled to Quito, Ecuador this week with TACA airlines and they asked me if I had a return ticket. I don't know if this is indicative of an airline policy, but traveler beware if you're flying with TACA to Argentina from the USA.

On Sunday, 23 January I flew from Austin, Texas, USA to Capital Federal EZEIZA, Argentina arriving Monday morning, 24 January. When I arrived at the Austin, Texas (AUS) airport, the automatic check-in machine rejected my entry because my return ticket was more than 90 days out (return is 29 July). The agent then took over with my check-in. The United agent asked for my trip documentation visiting other countries since I could stay in Argentina only 90 days. I explained that I would be going to Uruguay during my trip but had no confirmed or paid for travel documentation. The agent then called another agent over . . and they called a supervisor. The net result is that United documented my electronic file that I had been cautioned that Argentina may not let me into the country since my return flight was more than 90 days out. By documenting the file, United could then not be held responsible if I were denied entry into Argentina. I already had the Argentina reciprocity fee entry form (good for 10 years or until my passport expires) pasted into my passport (paid it last year -- USD $140). There was no problem upon arrival at Ezeiza . . .normal entry. My trip was a bit more complicated because I had booked frequent flier miles on Continental and was switched to United (merger results). Continental had not questioned when I did this last year. Perhaps a change in policy due to the merger? Hope this helps.

I just cleared security and the Continental ticket counter with no mention of onward travel at LAX. I did electronic check-in at one of the kiosk. The only thing that was asked for was a scanning of my passport. I don't anticipate any problems at customs in EZE but you never know. If there are any problems I will report back.

Latest Update: OK so I flew out of LaGuardia (via DC) to EZE on United. (I had booked with Continental but this part of the trip was serviced by United and I had to log in to United.com to reserve my seat). As I mentioned above I could not check in online.

I got to the airport early and the counter was pretty empty. The guy who checked me in appeared to "training" as he had another guy there telling him ("ok now push that button and this will happen and so forth"). Some sort of error message must have popped up because I did not have a return ticket. They asked if I had a Visa, I said I did as I thought maybe the "reciprocity" fee thing might qualify. This confused them but after asking a few people they realized it was not a visa. Next they asked if I had return travel ticket. I actually do for a separate reservation for June (outside of 90 days). I was starting to get nervous as I did not want to buy a ticket even if I could cancel.

However, next the guy said explaining to the "trainee": "It's ok, he doesn't need it (and I thought I heard them mention something about IATEC or whatever), as long as we "warned" him and made him aware. Plus it says he can purchase it once he arrives."

So my sense is this: it is not required. They caution you probably to cover their ass as people have said, and not be forced to fly you back or fined by Argentine gov't. In addition if you are ever stopped at EZE you can apparently buy a return or some exit ticket out once you land. (There is a BUquebus ticket booth just after you clear Customs but before you go through the doors to the throngs of waiting Argentines).

So that's my experience. Yours may be different, but hopefully the same result.

Back