Anyone familiar with the way AFIP works?

gonzalob54

Registered
I've been getting about a grand every month thru WU for living expenses, never had a problem. Always in the back of my mind is AFIP and its tentacles, am I just been paranoid? is that amount something normal they don't care about? right now ppl working and making 200k pesos/month are few and subject to taxes/penalties. I just want to do the right thing and be happy !!

If you provide more information, it will be possible to provide better answers to your questions.

The last time I checked, monthly income over $70.000 pesos (perhaps slightly more) was subject to taxation. There was a proposal to increase the exemption to $150.000 but I don't know if it was enacted.

Whether or not your income is taxable depends on the source of income. When I make transfers to myseld from my US bank,there is only one option for the sourece of income: family support. My accountant informed me that AFIP did not consider money sent by a family member for this purpose as taxable, but it might, if in reality, you are sending money to yourself that you earned from investments, rents, working remotely, and (perhaps) a pension.

If you've have temporary residency for more than a year and are using a DNI as your form of identification for the WU transfers, there is a record of your transactions, but I don't know how closely AFIP is tracking them (if at all).

If I understand corretly, you become liable to pay income tax in Argentina after you have had temporary residency for a full year.

One member using a passport as their ID recently posted that WU asked said a CDI would be required to receive funds from future transfers, but as far as I know, that has only happened once.

There have been a lot of posts about tax liability recently. I suggest you use the search engine to find more information.

If you don’t use your DNI to receive the fund I doubt AFIP would know anything about it.

PS to my previous post:

If I understand correclty, you have to have a DNI with the CUIL/CUIT to register with AFIP in order to pay taxes and registration is apparently voluntary, even if paying taxes is obligatory.

If you aren't registered you are "outside the system" and if you are in Argentina with a tourist visa I don't think there will be any issue, but I if you have temporary residency and are using a passport when you send an receive the transfers, you might have issues with AFIP at some point.

I'm both US citizen and argentinian born. I use of course my DNI as I transfer my own money from my US account to my local Itau acct. thanks

If you’re concerned about doing the right thing you would, as an Argentine citizen be paying taxes on your global income,

I'm both US citizen and argentinian born. I use of course my DNI as I transfer my own money from my US account to my local Itau acct. thanks
Chances are you will fly under the radar. WU deposits are not closely monitored as they are "family support". 1000 USD every month is not a lot of money be flagged. But a quick question, what is your tax residence? US or Argentina? I mean since those two do not have a double taxation agreement you could be taxed twice but again, as long as your source of income is not in ARG and you use WU to send 1-2k a month I would no worry about it.

Since this is being deposited into your bank account it is being traced. It's a question of whether they catch you or not. They have the means to since they can check transactions in any bank account in the country.

The question the poster has asked is whether anybody knows how AFIP works. In the last 18 months or so there have been a couple of relevant threads and numerous posts. These have gone a long way to clarifying some of the (admittedly changeable) rules on certain taxes. But to my recollection, nobody has been able to provide any insight into how AFIP works (which, of course, is code for us asking ourselves whether in its policies and practices it is interested in and capable of investigating the income and assets of foreigners). More posters than not tend to believe that it is neither interested nor capable. But none has really backed that up with specific information. I don't think anybody really knows how AFIP works. Probably AFIP doesn't know itself.

The government is K, they are Peronist, so they focus on the behavior of nationals, specially those who bough large amounts of usd and sent them abroad during the M regime and those who got help during the Pandemic and didn't use it for salaries payment.
WU money transfers are out of the radar because this is family assistance.
They are worried about money flight not many comming into the country.
For more specific question you need to pay a consultation with an accountant. I can recommend one,

Back