Anyone Has A 2 Yr Lease Of A Apt. Without A Guarantee?

Ceviche

Registered
Guys,

I am kind of fed up with my land lord who owns my luxury apartment.

I have been investigating other fully furnished rentals, and none of the rental agents are ready to show me the apartment. They want me to pay upfront and just shift, blind!

I have got fed up of this.

I have decided to put up my DNI to some use and go for a 2 yr lease of a unfurnished. I know this means more expenses but it also offers me to live life on my own terms such as having internet, cable tv, tv size, fridge size of my own choice.

I had 3 queries.

aa) How to get a 2 yr lease without a guarantee. I hear its unheard of. But some say, its bullshit. Every thing is possible.

bb) I want to know what options, I have after 2 years or even after 1 year, if I decide to move out of the country. Where can I store my stuff? Does BA has storage options like US?

cc) From experienced guys, how much in US$ will it cost to furnish a apartment nicely.

Thanks in advance

My friend got a lease and an affordable, unfurnished place downtown without a garantía, but I think he had to pay the first year in advance.

The (few) people I know that have managed to get a 2 year lease without a guarantee rented directly from the owner and paid a considerable chunk (6 months + ) up front. As for furnishing, that depends on a variety of factors such as size, how nice the furniture is, etc. All in all, I think that furnishing my apt (2.5 ambientes) pretty basically cost around 15 thousand pesos (and this was stuff mostly bought 5/6 years ago...and some of the pieces were 2nd hand), including desk, table, bed, fridge, bookshelf, couple of chests of drawers, tv-cabinet, coffee table, small couch. The biggest expense was our bed (nice sprung mattress) and the fridge. I haven't included things like small appliances, linens, etc (a lot of which I bought in the UK) I was pretty shocked to discover that refrigerator prices are now around 10 thousand pesos for something basic though so you might be better off looking at store prices to get a good idea of what you're going to have to shell out...

aa)

It's possible to get a 2 yr lease without a guarantee. In fact that's how I rent since 9 years.

This is a latin country ("talking" is important) so indeed everything can be negotiated.

How I found the house I live in: a matter of circumstances (the "latin" country aspect again, talking). I rented it from the owner of the place I was buying dog's food from (I was chatting with her everytime). She moved to Patagonia and offered me to rent her house (great price too, but I paid 6 months in advance).

What you can use to your advantage:
- You're a foreigner (Argentineans trust a bit more foreigners. I don't know why though)
- Offer to pay 6/12 months in advance and mention the fact they'll earn on inflation accepting that offer (optional: use this argument to negotiate the price down... 1000 pesos today will be worth less in one year).
- If you make a living in USD and have an easy possibility getting greenbacks then Bingo Bango. Offer to pay in USD (negotiate as close to the official rate. At least the LL will get dollars he might not get otherwise).
- USD's part two: vacations are coming = if your LL intends to go abroad and needs dollars, then offering him/her 6 months in this currency is quite a guarantee of success.
- If you have plenty of time, go visit apartments with a 2 years lease without saying nothing. Then start to negotiate (success rate? 5 to 10% ?... Indeed if you have plenty of time).

... Possibilities are endless. Depends on you (and if you speak castellano).

bb)

If you move after 1 year after signing a 2 years lease, that's not really cool for the LL (plus you'll lose money, normal).
There are quite a few places where you can rent a space to store things in BA indeed.

cc)

YMMV. "Nicely" can be quite different depending on your tastes. Depends on the number of rooms and such.
Check what you'll need to buy new (if that was me: only the mattress).
After, it depends the time you have to buy the furnishings.
If you need to buy everything within 2 months, either buy new (Indeed easily 12/15.000 pesos for a 2 BR) or try to buy at least a few used things (go to Don Orione, Ejercito de Salvacion, Emaus in Pompeya every morning at 9am... Bring the muscles of your avatar too to avoid problems, he he).
Best way to do it: plan 6 months in advance and go often to cheap flea markets, places quoted above, auctions and such. As an example, I bouth 100 pieces of porcelain (Verbano... not the greatest thing) for 450 pesos... Better to buy vintage things = better made, last longer, cost less than the Chinese crap and such.

Post could be developped but yes, it's indeed possible to do that and that will be better for you money wise.

There are 2 banks that offer insurance that can be accepted in lieu of a "garantía propietaria".
Banco Ciudad and Banco Supervielle. They offer a great program (that I once accepted from a renter). You pay the rent to the bank and they credit the landlord. You are charged the rent plus a small percentage each month. The beauty is the bank pays the landlord the rent even if you DON'T pay the rent to the bank. It worked great. This was a couple of years ago, but as far as I know it still exists. You of course have to be a legal resident. You said you have a DNI so that is why I suggested this. Good luck.

There are 2 banks that offer insurance that can be accepted in lieu of a "garantía propietaria".
Banco Ciudad and Banco Supervielle. They offer a great program (that I once accepted from a renter). You pay the rent to the bank and they credit the landlord. You are charged the rent plus a small percentage each month. The beauty is the bank pays the landlord the rent even if you DON'T pay the rent to the bank. It worked great. This was a couple of years ago, but as far as I know it still exists. You of course have to be a legal resident. You said you have a DNI so that is why I suggested this. Good luck.

Thanks David,

So how to go about it? I just walk to the bank and ask them about it? Do all landlords except such a guarantee? Thanks.

Cash deposit and good personal reference is the ticket.

Thanks David,

So how to go about it? I just walk to the bank and ask them about it? Do all landlords except such a guarantee? Thanks.

I would just go into a branch of either of those banks and ask about the "seguro de garantía para alquilar". It's up to the landlord whether or not they will accept it or not. When I was a landlord I listed my apartment with an inmobiliaria, and they were the ones who asked me if I would accept this insurance. A couple of days later they had a tenant for me that had this insurance. I was just reading through my old e-mails about this and there is also another company that offers this insurance:
http://www.monclair.com.ar/
It's really a win-win situation for the landlord with the guarantía offered by the bank. My tenant had Superville and they used to deposit the my payment on the same day every month. The landlord isn't even aware if the tenant paid the bank or not. This is one of those things that could be a goldmine if the banking system here were more transparent. But since there is no trust here it's seldom used as nobody trusts anybody.
Good luck.

As I understand the bank guarantees, they are only for clients of the bank, and you have to have a history with them before they will secure your guarantee. My wife looked into this for her brothers and that was the answer she got.

The link to Montclair spells out some things needed, including income statements from all included in the contract on the renter's side. I'd bet that for a foreigner, with income outside the country, it would not be very likely to happen. If you have income here, the calculator looks like it's looking for about 35% as the limit to how much of your net monthly salary needed to qualify for a guarantee. $3500 pesos a month for rent (including expenses) requires $10,000 a month in net income.

I have a friend who has consistently rented apartments with two year contracts and has never had a guarantee. Once he had to put up six months, but the other times they accepted the normal deposits. His current apartment is across from Recoleta Mall, not exactly a shabby area, so decent places can be had in this manner. In fact, this is one of the few modern apartments I've been in in BA that even has central air and heating (local to the unit) and a dishwasher, all in one.

As French mentioned, it's all about talking. My friend would spend months walking through various neighborhoods, talking to porteros of buildings he liked, and would ask the porteros if there was anyone looking for a tenant. He'd have a conversation with the owners and see if they were amenable. It takes time to find someone, but they're out there.

I knew another guy who returned to New York about two years ago who managed to rent half of a run-down PH in Parque Patricios without a guarantee. I don't remember how he made that acquaintance.

I have never had such luck - every time I've needed to move I was in a hurry and didn't have months to look. My first long-ish term rental was actually taken over from an expat I met through my friend mentioned above, who had to return to the States for business reasons. He had paid his entire contract up front and offered me the remainder of the contract as a sublet, about 13 months.

After that, I got a guarantee from an Argentine friend of mine for a house out in Pilar. His property was actually in Cordoba, and it's extremely unusual if someone is requiring a guarantee to accept property that is not local. I think I probably could have convinced them to rent to me without a guarantee because of that, but I didn't know enough then to try to get around it.

In the apartment I'm in now, I have a Dutch friend who owns an apartment here in BA who let me use his apartment as a guarantee. My contract ended at the end of April this year, and the owner and I came to an agreement (officially signed contract and all) to rent the apartment continuing on with the terms of the original contract on a month-to-month basis.

It is indeed all about making contacts and finding the way to accomplish what you need. It is a frustrating thing about BA, much like getting anything else done - the amount of time needed to secure long-term living space is just ridiculous in relation to how long something like that ought to take, for foreigners without property and history here. But there you are, one of the things about staying here long term that you have to overcome.

As far as cost - $15,000 pesos may be possible these days, depending on what you want. You might be able to buy cheap and/or used stuff and get close to that. I was lucky, I furnished mine for $4K USD five years ago when it was 3-1. But also, I just bought all the furniture that the expat who gave me that first long-ish term rent already had.

I'd say you may be looking at maybe $25000 pesos now, depending on what you want, but including a bed (personally, I have to have a king [and a room big enough to hold it!], even if I'm sleeping alone...), a refrigerator, a washing machine (not have-to-have), a microwave, a kitchen table and chairs, a sofa and a couple of chairs, a TV, knives, silverware, plates, glasses, cooking utensils, blender, etc. If you need to furnish a place to work add some more, etc.

Back