Anyone have any Santiago Tips?

BaltRochGirl

Registered
Looking for any safe/comfortable neighborhoods to stay in for a couple months, I've never been to Santiago before so I'm kinda searching in the dark, any tips would be much appreciated!

oh yeah, barrio brasil where i stayed had many bars (where you could actually buy a belgian beer) and plazas and food joints which was a welcome relief coming from mendoza

Safe/clean/modern/~upscale areas include (at least) Providencia, Bosque Norte, El Golf, Las Condes, Vitacura, etc. If you can, stay near a metro (subte) station. Barrio Brasil is rougher around the edges.

If anyone has an extra time, and knows BA and Santiago well enough, care to share your thoughts of which you might prefer for living for a fair amount of time? Comparisons such as costs, vibes, people, cleanliness, safety, stability, activities, resources, things of this nature.

Argento - try to not compare things that have nothing in common. Santiago could be comparated with mendoza, ciudad de mexico, quito, bogota, La Paz or something like that. But for sure it has not anything in common with BAC.

I loved the free walking tour that meets in the Plaza de Armas every day at 10 and 3 (I think, may have changed for winter, check via a Google search). If you get Felipe as your guide you are in for a treat!! he is awesome. I liked taking the funicular to the Cerro San Cristobal, the funicular was really cheap, I was surprised. Also climbing Cerro Santa Lucia, a tiny hill but also nice views. If you want to see one of Pablo Neruda's homes I recommend the one in Valparaiso over the one in Santiago, but if you dont go to Valpo then see the one in Santiago (I think its by guided tour only).

It was not as expensive as I was expecting, because BA has nearly caught up to Chile's prices due to inflation.

A WARNING: the bill in restaurants often includes a suggested tip in the total amount. This is very misleading and really exploitative of tourists who don't speak Spanish because it says "propina sugerencia" or something like that really small with a TOTAL that includes the tip!! Just make sure to check your bill for that and not to tip on top of it (unless you really want to). Enjoy!

BaltRochGirl said:
Looking for any safe/comfortable neighborhoods to stay in for a couple months, I've never been to Santiago before so I'm kinda searching in the dark, any tips would be much appreciated!

Try "Dardignac 28" it's a newish building in Bellavista - a lot of foreigners live there due to the Start-Up Chile program. You can probably find a furnished apartment for a month or two there pretty easily. It's central and could be a good jumping off point for finding out which neighborhood you want to live in. (I lived in Santiago for 8 months until this past March)

Back