Anyone just gone full YOLO and overstatyed their visa for years?

Miguel741

Registered
There is a lot of theoretical posts on here saying "forget going to colonial, forget renewing, just overstay as long as you want and nothing bad will ever happen to you"

Has anyone actually done this or is it all just talk ?

If you do not ever plan to travel outside the city or drive a vehicle then I think it is easy enough. Once you travel around the country it is possible to be stopped by the Gendarme when crossing a provincial, city or town border. Regular police will not care about your status. Occasionally the Gendarme will be helping the regular police in an unexpected place. More possible the closer you are to an international border. Perhaps it is best to not ever travel with your passport.

The one thing I read here that is not clear is that it's better to overstay compared to renew + then overstay the extension?

I have a choice right now between doing a same day visa run to colonia (with risk but still within my first 90 days) or get the extension.

This was more common in the pre-Macri era from what I understand. Haven't heard much about overstaying since

Visa runs are illegal according to decreto 616/2010. It is called abuse of tourist visa and allow them to reject you at the border.
It is better to overstay, then you become an inhabitant protected by the National Constitution.

Visa runs are illegal according to decreto 616/2010. It is called abuse of tourist visa and allow them to reject you at the border.
It is better to overstay, then you become an inhabitant protected by the National Constitution.
Thanks

Back