Anyone Know A Good Immigration Consultant

You don't need an international treaty. Both countries don't care if you have another citizenship. Germany, Korea, Japan, China cancel its citizenship if you get a new one.

You don't need an international treaty. Both countries don't care if you have another citizenship. Germany, Korea, Japan, China cancel its citizenship if you get a new one.

Getting Argentine citizenship does not require renouncing the former citizenship?

Because I know a couple of people who were told point blank that to become citizens, they must provide an embassy statement regarding formal renunciation of citizenship. Is this flat-out wrong?

Getting Argentine citizenship does not require renouncing the former citizenship?

Because I know a couple of people who were told point blank that to become citizens, they must provide an embassy statement regarding formal renunciation of citizenship. Is this flat-out wrong?

It would be helpful if you could tell us exactly who told the people you know that they must provide an embassy statement regarding formal renunciation of citizenship. I've neither heard about or read this before. Unless a judge presiding over their citizenship case (or his secretary) tells them this I wouldn't put much credence in it, and even then, it sounds like something Dr. Rubilar would challenge in court (perhaps risking a sanction?).

PS: Apparently, the list of requirements for citizenship does vary from court to court.

Yes.

It's flat out wrong.

We had no issue in either of our cases with the clerks, secretaries, judges. I'm also being recognized as Italian since birth (jus sanguinis). My wife is going to BA in the next 6-8 weeks to do option of Dutch recognition (effective the date she takes oath, not since birth. Her mom was from NL and my wife is considered 'latent Dutch'). In that case, the order is important. Had she opted for Dutch first and then became Argentine--she would have lost her Dutch citizenship (unless perhaps I was already Argentine). Where Argentina does not allow renunciation so she can keep it. In theory, she can also get Italian by marriage. NL is quite strict, but lets spouses obtain other citizenship(s) of spouse as well.

Granted, that's a bit ridiculous to have four (but possible in some cases). My youngest is US/IT/AR since birth and NL 'latent Dutch' The other one is US/IT and NL 'latent Dutch' and we're working on her Argentine option which must be completed before we opt for Dutch recognition. We're on the fence as to whether we do both EU citizenships.

It was through doing the Argentine process that I learned a good deal about citizenship law and only at the very end of the process--revisited our respective European options. It was not our intent to collect passports like others collect passport stamps. However, we like the idea that our girls will have rights to work, study, live on three continents (under current treaties, provided EU and Mercosur hold together).

What country was their original citizenship from? I could only see someone being asked to renounce their citizenship if they were English, considering the political issues Argentina has with England. Just look at how many the streets with English names were changed.

I believe Argentina used to ask those applying for citizenship to give up their Spanish one, but the law changed and that's no longer the case.

What country was their original citizenship from? I could only see someone being asked to renounce their citizenship if they were English, considering the political issues Argentina has with England. Just look at how many the streets with English names were changed.

I believe Argentina used to ask those applying for citizenship to give up their Spanish one, but the law changed and that's no longer the case.

No.
Issues among States doesn't mean a free pass to discriminate its citizens.

Back