Anyone need electronics from US? Phones, computers, cameras...

Brent0n

Registered
I am going to be flying back to BA shortly and am going to be buying a few electronics for some people over here. (iphones, ipod, blackberry). Electronics are expensive as all hell in Argentina so I am willing to offer some for a lower price than what you can get here.

Sorry, this isnt intended to be spam, but let me know if you need anything.

Brent

I hate to sound negative here but the trust involved in something like this simply breaks the "worth it" barrier I think. Option A is one trusts a complete stranger with his or hers hard earned money to buy electronics for oneself and that complete stranger either has bad intentions or just simply messes up somehow, for example has a planned return date in january but then something comes up and the person can't make it until march or something of the sort making the whole deal far less worth it and option B is that well this good old stranger trusts somebody that he doesn't know one bit and buys electronics for that person abroad only to come back and having to deal with the buyer having changed his mind or having left the country or not liking the color of the bought item or god knows what.

Or the buyer uses his own money in the US and sells it here. If the intended user is not satisfied, there are most likely plenty of other people who would be willing to buy it.

Great points. I know I can find buyers in BA if someone flakes out on me. I plan on bringing the items anyway. Im not askin for money up front. Anyway maybe ill just stick to my network. You do have a good point.

Brent

I want a Nintendo Wii, can you please bring me one, Please!

Invest some of your $ bring a couple of good items ( notebooks, ipods, etc ) and I am sure you will sell them lightning fast to expats and argentines ;)

I claimed earlier that I hated to sound negative but yet I'm going to keep doing so and I hope that I'll be forgiving for doing but anyway I once suggested to an Argentinian friend of mine that he'd do just that, buy some good electronics in the states and make a good buck by selling them in Argentina but the guy told me that there was just simply no way he'd do that cause the risk involved was simply too great, laptops fancy phones and such things are PRIME resale items for cash so they're very popular among thieves so lets say one actually does buy a little laptop in the US and bring it to Argieland and then post an ad on mercadolibre or something of that sort and then well one might get this call from this softly speaking nice person who wants to purchase just that laptop without any and all discounts so one of course arranges to meet the guy and then gets mugged or worse.

Hell I read somewhere that even in the UK they are going pretty far these days offering cars for sale which they simply don't even have just to mug people. And also the tactic of buying first finding a seller second might not be that intelligent cause there are plenty of people already selling laptops at decent prices MercadoLibre Argentina - laptop - Computación - Notebooks - Donde comprar y vender de todo. and if one wants to make a buck then one has to compete with these people price of quality wise and that may not be the easiest thing to do.

Another thing is customs, now usually they'll look past people bringing two laptops into the country given that they're not in their original packaging but three, four, five obviously unused laptops it's a slight risk.

Elpanada said:
I claimed earlier that I hated to sound negative but yet I'm going to keep doing so and I hope that I'll be forgiving for doing but anyway I once suggested to an Argentinian friend of mine that he'd do just that, buy some good electronics in the states and make a good buck by selling them in Argentina but the guy told me that there was just simply no way he'd do that cause the risk involved was simply too great, laptops fancy phones and such things are PRIME resale items for cash so they're very popular among thieves so lets say one actually does buy a little laptop in the US and bring it to Argieland and then post an ad on mercadolibre or something of that sort and then well one might get this call from this softly speaking nice person who wants to purchase just that laptop without any and all discounts so one of course arranges to meet the guy and then gets mugged or worse.

Hell I read somewhere that even in the UK they are going pretty far these days offering cars for sale which they simply don't even have just to mug people. And also the tactic of buying first finding a seller second might not be that intelligent cause there are plenty of people already selling laptops at decent prices MercadoLibre Argentina - laptop - Computación - Notebooks - Donde comprar y vender de todo. and if one wants to make a buck then one has to compete with these people price of quality wise and that may not be the easiest thing to do.

Another thing is customs, now usually they'll look past people bringing two laptops into the country given that they're not in their original packaging but three, four, five obviously unused laptops it's a slight risk.

Well, he might have a contact or something. Regarding Mercado Libre, it is like Ebay, I only sell to people with good reputation, not new members ( for my safety ) Well, any business has risks, and if the only risk is the money investment, hell I would do it, these items sell like hot cakes.

Quoting Emplenada
Hell I read somewhere that even in the UK they are going pretty far these days offering cars for sale which they simply don't even have just to mug people.

Theses things do happen, not just cars, houses as well, but genrally people do not worry too much, as it is very rare, as I belive it is in Buenos Aires.
The thing is not to ignore risk, but do not be put off, take heed and be aware.

I would be aware as well that customs seems to be getting a little stricter these days about carrying in laptops. I've had a few friends stopped and questioned. I travel with 2 (work/personal) and I have had them ask to look at them. No problems with it but I would think if you're carrying a bunch, you might deal with some legal questions.

Back